Black Rose

"His heat stopped less than two days into it?" Dr. Charles asked, repeating the concerns Kieran had. They were alone in his office. "How is he now?"

Kieran reminisced the past three days of nothing following the peak wave—Teru had been hiding from him. Every time he tried to approach due to his inner alpha wanting to be close, the embarrassed omega would let out a YELP and run off to his bedroom.

He didn't understand why Teru was acting like this; his behavior during the heat was completely normal.

What's more, Kieran's paid leave was about to end. If he didn't return to his duties, more annoying people would come to bother them about the stacks of time-sensitive paperwork that needed to be signed by him.

"You could say that. He's been nervous around me but otherwise fine."

"A little unusual for a first heat," Dr. Charles remarked, surprised but not super concerned. "I have three theories. First one, this could be solved by improving his health. He spent his entire life living like a wild animal. Humans eat and drink anything out there to survive. I can give you daily vitamins for him to take with meals. Second theory. A healthy heat should have a few more waves after the peak. If he's one of the more unfortunate omegas, Teru's cycle could be unstable and occur every month rather than the usual three to four months. While it's gone for now, it's technically not finished. It could return at any time. Keep a close eye on him. Make sure there are no rutting alphas nearby."

This was daunting for Kieran if the second notion applied to Teru. "Every month?" he muttered to himself. What if he was out of the city on business if that happened? Would he always be paranoid about leaving him alone?

"It's a possibility. But, I'm leaning more towards this being temporary from the recent trauma. The body's physical and mental state can impact an alpha or omega's hormones. Spoil him rotten. Make the environment as stressless as possible."

Dr. Charles wrote their conversation in his journal. His handwriting was random squiggles that would be illegible to others.

"And the third option?" Kieran asked.

The physician stopped jotting down notes. "Ah. Yes. My third theory is Teru coming into contact with his destined mate, whoever that could be from the time he was captured. It's the least likely one because I've only seen it a handful of times since I began studying medicine, one of those cases being when a destined pair never bonded. For unknown reasons, the alpha refused to mark the other. Even I felt bad for the omega, who kept having their heat almost every other week after meeting their fated one."

Kieran wanted to scoff at the idea. There was no way that could be the reason. Plus, it wasn't like he and Teru were fated since it had never happened between a vampire and a human.

Destined pairs were extremely rare. It was a phenomenon only between alphas and omegas, always human-human or vampire-vampire. In the simplest of terms, the couple was born for one another. Most knew their fated partner right away if they ever met, but some took time to realize it depending on their emotional stability. Once their bodies recognized it, they would crave the other forever until the alpha marked the omega's nape.

It sounded troublesome. Once bonded, destined pairs experienced separation symptoms—chills, fever, bodily aches, migraines, and nausea—if they were apart for too long.

Charles finished and placed the folder with the others in the filing cabinet. "Unfortunately, I'll never know the long-term effects of going unbonded since the omega was found dead, tortured beyond recognition by some psychopath. I then wanted to do a case study of the alpha's psychological effects from the death of their unmarked destined partner, but they declined. Such a shame since it was unusual."