Defense Mechanism

Of all days to run into his twin sisters...

"If you look at this revision here, I want to yada, yada, yada." Kieran tuned out Ashantee, the older one, who kept going on and on about a minor law. Apparently, it needed to be passed or not by today. She was the more articulate one compared to her younger counterpart, Koko. They were born a century after Kieran when their mother found a perfect candidate to have another child with—an alpha prince from Ghana's monarch family.

"Brother, are you listening to me?"

"I am."

"Then what did I just say?"

"You want to increase the royal family's budget. And the answer is no. I won't pass this law." The changes she made were undoubtedly meant to help Ashantee gain more access to the country's funds, despite spending an enormous amount of it weekly. She was cunning, smart, and a sin that Pride tiptoed around regularly. Although they worked well in the workplace because their sins were similar, being the root of the other sins, she'd swindle him of everything.

Once the second deadliest of sins before Tristan defeated her—Greed.

Ashantee tried to protest, throwing a hissy fit about needing more money and blood slaves; she already lost out on a rare omega, he should share him, blah, blah, blah.

This was tiring. Acting like a spoiled child not getting what they wanted was a norm for her. At least her twin, Sloth, was quiet. She was dozing off while standing, bored by the conversation. If Blaise ever wanted to challenge her for her position to increase his rank, Koko would rather wave the white flag before the fight even began. But don't let her laziness fool you; she could be just as violent as Wrath if she was triggered enough.

...Kieran smelled something.

The scent was thick, like transparent vapor from a bonfire's heat—slightly sweet and floral but sensual at the same time.

It made his siblings pause, too. Koko woke up from her cat nap, wildly looking around for whatever it was giving off that amazing smell. The hair beads from her Ghanaian homeland clanked from the movement. For something to garner the attention of dominant alphas instantly was extremely rare. In fact, Kieran didn't remember the last time this had occurred.

And if they were mystified by it, imagine the other average alphas within the vicinity. Everyone, vampires and humans, in the hallway was stumped, not knowing how to process this scent.

Then, Kieran felt fear.

This emotion wasn't his. He himself had no reason to be scared. So that meant...

Teru.

He looked through the shop's windows. His omega wasn't in sight. No one was. He was there just a minute ago? Kieran ran into the store using his vampiric speed. This beautiful smell was originating from the back.

Teru, completely naked except for his new collar, sat on the cold floor, leaning against the wall. The boy was breathing heavily, eyes rolling to the back of his head. Kieran inhaled. Mixed with Teru's scent were multiple foreign pheromones on his wrists and...

Teru's lower half. On his entrance.

Without any interrogation, Kieran lost any sense of rationality. He automatically went into his primitive "warrior" instinct mode. He approached the vampire from behind. This bastard was responsible for leaving his beta odor on the omega's most intimate part. Kieran ripped his head off clean. The spine crunched from the pressure. Blood sprayed in every corner of the large room—on the walls, merchandise, ceiling...

As for the other three, well, he was about to destroy each and every one of them. The trio of alphas all had the stench of decaying flesh, a foretelling sign they were prideful. His sin, Pride, buzzed in Kieran's head, Terminate them. Destroy them. Kill them.