Humility: Part 2

Pride's hair breezed around his face, like a lion's mane caught in a windstorm. He was a wild beast by the way he paced and panted. His crazed, red eyes never looked away from the person who didn't smell of decay. Such a pure aura gave him a breather from the tainted stench of the city's sins.

Teru wasn't afraid of Pride despite his aggressiveness. He walked closer until the smoke thinned out between them. Seeing Kieran's condition was heartbreaking. It looked like he bathed himself in blood. His body hadn't completely healed, either. The skin was working overtime to sew itself over the infected bullet holes from weeks ago, including the new wounds inflicted by the soldiers. The blood loss was too severe. At this rate, he'd heal just as fast as a human, if not slower.

When Teru was within arm's reach, the vampire chuffed and stepped back, unsure of what to do. This was nothing more than a frightened creature that needed to calm down.

"My alpha."

The sound of his voice prompted Kieran to stop the twitching, anxious movements. He gave Teru his full attention.

"I missed you."

Kieran furrowed the extra thick muscles between his eyes. Did he not understand?

Piercing screams from an attack somewhere else provoked Pride. He growled and turned to go there, towards the rotten flesh scents that were calling for him.

Teru's humility birthmark shot tingles down his spine.

No!

He reached up without thinking and gently grabbed Kieran's face between his hands, not giving a shit about the blood from the prior killings smearing on himself, too. The skinship between fated mates made them sigh. Though it had been only a month, it felt like a year. The aching pain slowly receded, but it wasn't enough to disappear 100%. They had to touch more. They needed to love each other more, mentally and physically. It couldn't be done when one of them wasn't aware enough to consent.

"Please," Teru begged tearfully. "You have to listen to me. Aren't you my alpha? Aren't I your omega?"

Kieran's red eyes gazed intently into his. Snowflakes speckled their hair, reminding Teru of the night they marked to complete their bond. He was homesick for that connection.

I need to keep talking.

"And I'm your virtue, right? You changed my birthmark, remember? It was snowing back then, too."

Yes, Kieran's alpha rumble said.

Thank heavens he responded.

Teru had to act quickly before another interruption came and ruined the moment. If his partner slipped through his fingers, he wasn't positive he could chase after him in his sensitive condition. The effects of shifting while pregnant were uncertain, so he wanted to avoid the risk.

Pride waited for Teru to say something, not showing impatience or desire to find more prideful souls to send to the afterlife. See? Show him mercy and he'll comply. What was so hard to understand? Stabbing, burning, and shooting at him would only aggravate Pride more. All of this unnecessary damage did not have to happen.

Teru freed his sweet pheromones, hoping it would have the same effect as an alpha calming their distressed omega. His gender didn't have such an ability since it was strictly for alphas, but they were fated mates, so why couldn't it?

"You know, it's okay to admit you're weak. Everyone has weaknesses. You're not an exception as much as you want to be."

Kieran blinked, taking in his words. He scowled at Teru, not liking the harsh truth. There was no point in beating around the bush.