Phase One

Teru sat against the base of a white birch tree, watching Kieran and Blaise remove all the supplies from the Jeep. He had learned the name of this specific car after Blaise screeched it out earlier this morning at sunrise:

"What the f-! My Jeep!" someone yelled from outside, where the two slept on the makeshift bed on the backseat. Well, a bed for Teru at least. There was no space for Kieran to lie down, so he sat up while Teru's head nestled on his lap comfortably. He didn't even remember falling asleep, too tired and calmed by the mint pheromones washing over him like gentle waves. It was the first peaceful sleep in over a month.

The panicking bellow startled Teru awake, but Kieran was already alert. Blaise was making a fuss, biting his blood-encrusted nails from seeing his car's damage. Actually, the tips of his blonde hair were dyed red, too. Who's blood was that? Lucas's? Where was he? What happened after they left him alone with Lust?

"This model is one of a kind, custom-designed. Who," Blaise asked, touching the large dent in the front, "is responsible for this?" He glanced at Kieran for a second but must have decided he wasn't the culprit. Kieran was an excellent driver, with centuries of experience since the first vehicle ever invented.

Blaise pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed, thinking. "What did you hit here?"

"Err," a voice rasped from behind, long and drawn out. It was muffled since Teru was inside the Jeep with the bulletproof windows up. Lucas was also staring at the damage, finally getting a good look at just how bad his skills were when he transported Teru to the gates.

Teru got up and squinted at his friend.

He looked...terrible: pale skin, gaunt eyes, and obviously worn out. A clean bandage was wrapped snuggly around his neck, which was odd because both he and Blaise still wore the same clothes from last night. Lucas brushed a hand through his hair, contemplating how to word it. He opened his mouth to talk, but nothing came out.

"Abaddon," Teru said quietly. "He sort of...ran him over."

Blaise looked at him, hearing the answer because of his impeccable senses. "Abaddon, of all things." He studied the large dent longer. "Worth it." Then he unlocked the hood and opened it to inspect the engine. "Buuut, given what I'm seeing, it won't make it to our next destination. We can still drive for a while. Don't be surprised if my baby breaks down before we reach there. Prepare for the worst, basically."

"Are we driving to that place? Los Angeles?" Teru asked Kieran, but he didn't say anything, glancing away.

Because Kieran didn't have a solid plan at all.

Fast forward to an hour and a half later after feeding Lucas and Teru. In a homemade trap, Kieran had caught a deer overnight and cooked the meat on a mini grill packed by Blaise. It looked like a scene in a movie where the characters went camping. Soon, the film they were featured in would become a horror flick, with monsters hiding in the darkness, killing off each person one by one.

Hopefully, the two vampires were the scariest things out here.

Everything from the Jeep was now on the ground and organized. There were food packs on the left. Water bottles on the right. Random items like their backpacks, blankets, and flashlights in the center. A closer pile near Teru were the weapons such as knives, a high-tech bow and arrows, and various sizes of guns and bullets.

The black pistol piqued his interest. It had been a while since to hold a gun. Without them noticing as they tried to find a map because of the lack of cell phone service, Teru slowly crawled over to the shiny weapon. He reached out. Just before he picked it up, a hand grabbed his to stop him. Teru recognized it anywhere as it helped him stand.