Decay

They were in the nest with comfy items blanketing them. Kieran was stroking his fingers through Teru's recently washed hair, half asleep with his perfect head resting on his lap. While petting him, he felt every black strand against the pads of his fingers. Was he a little irrational to think how he'd rip someone's heart out if they dared to take just one? Having a mate went against his selfish instincts-he now had someone else to take care of and it made his inner alpha switch to protective mode. Such sentiments were new for Kieran, all alien because he went his entire life without experiencing them.

His Pride was fretting, howling at him to ‌help. Since yesterday, agitation slowly increased by the hour. It was a matter of time before the top half of the hourglass emptied, and who knows what would happen once his sin was done waiting after the last grain of sand was gone. He wanted to sigh with frustration. This resembled the forgotten days when he was wilder with his siblings, eliminating humans who reeked of pride, envy, greed, etc. Whenever they felt the same build-up that would begin their descent into their monstrous sides, it was so easy to subdue it back then by doing what they were born to do.

Current times didn't work like that anymore. Kieran was done with the purpose he was given. Those duties can go to hell.

Kieran mentally ordered it to be quiet. In reality, there wasn't anything he could ‌do except be there for his partner. Whatever Teru was going through was a mental bump in the road, perhaps a little physical as well. This morning at the crack of dawn, Kieran watched Teru pace in front of the window on the verge of nesting. He noticed a slight bloatedness around his hips. Charles said completing the bond as a destined pair was supposed to fix the hormonal instability, originally caused by coming in contact with one another. While it worked for Kieran, it did not for Teru. In fact, it became worse. It had to be stress-related. Or...maybe the heavens were playing with Kieran by cursing their union.

There was no question in the prince's mind-Teru required more space, free from the pressures of this hectic environment. Leaving needed to happen during the event in less than two weeks. Thankfully, Teru did not bring up the subject again after Nurse Karen left. The shame of biting Kieran and the difference of his canines distracted him enough to forget about it, though his teeth eventually withdrew while he slept last night.

Kieran checked the time on his gold and mint green pocket watch. The drugstore would open soon. It was inconvenient to go on this tedious errand. It was faster to get there by walking than by car, thanks to traffic. Not only that, but he had to go himself instead of sending a servant because the pharmacy required to see the patient's identification. In this case, Charles pushed Kieran's name since Teru did not have the proper ID.

"Are you sure you don't want to go?"

"Mmm," Teru groaned. That was a no.

"I'm leaving now to get your medicine."

"Mmm."

Kieran grabbed the chiffon pillow next to him and delicately placed it under Teru's head. The human didn't notice him slip away, light snores laced with pleasant dreams. Despite sleeping most of the night, it was concerning to see him still tired. Dozing through the late morning was unusual.

And that's why Pride was pissed off. It couldn't solve medical issues like this, at least not so fast and simple.

Wanting to return as quickly as possible, Kieran hurriedly put on his winter trench coat. Once reaching the first floor, the working vampires and servants moved out of his way like the Red Sea splitting in half. He stopped in front of the revolving glass doors leading to the unpredicted snowstorm. Shit. This wasn't on the forecast. The heavy snow piled on the sidewalk faster than it could be cleared, now up to his knees. Teru wouldn't have been able to go, regardless. Just because Kieran was a vampire, didn't mean cold, wet feet weren't uncomfortable. There wasn't a single car on the street. Who would be crazy enough to go out in this record-breaking weather?