Phase Three

The two were lying on a bed in a decently sized space. Before Blaise made alterations that were more appropriate for a guest room, it was previously a local art exhibit. Drawings of random subjects hung on the four brick walls, never taken down from their spots in the past century and a half. Teru couldn't quite fathom that the humans who drew them came from a time when vampires didn't rule.

He nestled his head in the crook of Kieran's arm and listened to what had happened on the bridge. Apparently, Teru helped Lucas make a ground-breaking confession.

I did that? I don't even remember, he thought, sleepily gazing at a neon-colored painting of the night sky next to them.

Kieran worded something in an interesting way. It grabbed his attention.

"Kieran?"

His mate pulled the thin blanket from the foot of the bed and covered Teru with it. "Hmm?"

"When you said 'your virtue,' is it similar to when you say 'my sin?'"

He paused at the question. "I suppose so. I assumed they were the same, like when we say 'my alpha' or 'my omega.' Your inner virtue is likely another personality, an extension of yourself. When you're vulnerable, it's easier for it to show itself. In time, you'll be able to control it, just like when I call for Pride." Kieran brushed the side of Teru's cheek. "Even when Humility takes over you without your consent, it's a beautiful sight to see."

"Did my face get all," Teru furrowed his eyebrows and puffed up his cheeks to make them bigger, "rawr?"

"Rawr?" Kieran wasn't following.

"You know...the grr thing and the long claws."

"Pride?" The vampire's voice went up, trying not to laugh. His green eyes gleamed with amusement. "When I transform? No, you didn't become like that, like a monster."

Teru playfully hit his chest. "Did I say monster? Because it's not."

"Then you'd be the only one who thinks my sin's true form isn't."

Ah, I really want to climb on top of him and tell him off.

But his belly made him paranoid. He could no longer sleep or rest on his stomach. Though still small, he was worried. What if the...what was it called? Amniotic sac? What if that popped?

So, Teru reached up and squished Kieran's cheeks into a pouty expression, stubble feeling rough on his hands. If only the Teru from months and months ago could see his future self doing this.

I would've had a heart attack. Back then, I was terrified of everything.

He let go. "I've met so many who abused me. I was just a tool to be used until broken. Those types of people are the scariest. To me, you're not a monster. I'll always remind you until..."

Until...

When? Until I die?

His mind went dark, not wanting to continue that dangerous line of thought. Kieran seemed glad he didn't finish.

The destined pair stared into each other's eyes for a while. Faintly was the sound of chirping crickets. No cars honking. No sirens. No screams of pain and death. Just the sound of their breaths.

"And they won't think you are a monster, either."

"They?"

"Our pups."

Kieran rumbled, liking the answer. "They'll disagree with you when they become teenagers."

"Why?"

"Hormonal alphas who hit puberty feel the need to challenge everything and everyone. I ignore their scent of pride because they're merely ignorant children. As the eldest, well, I don't look fondly at those times when my siblings were that age. Easy to push them and claim dominance, but annoying. I'd leave for long periods of time on purpose. They'd find me no matter where I went to. Envy was the most adamant. Once, I almost killed him when he was sixteen out of anger. That fool barged in and challenged me in front of the King of England. My reputation was almost ruined. Back then, I took pride in my job and image very seriously. As you know, it was what I lived for."