Chapter 12.

Trigger Warning! Do not read if necessary.

Piper's Point of View.

We decided to stop of in Atlanta to get supplies before heading to Fort Benning. That's what we decided. After the CDC. Daryl and I also decided to ditch the truck and travel on his bike from now on. It uses less gas, plus with less people, we can fit all our stuff into the RV. I was currently stood out on the roof of the RV, waiting for the guys to get back from getting gas. I played with my knife, running the flat side of the blade across my arm, wiping off any dust. Doing this, I caught a glimpse of them. My scars. I closed my eyes, remembering those times. I often wished my brother was here. I don't even know if he's still alive. He left home before the breakout, I dunno if he survived or not. He always helped me through my dark times. I squeezed my eyes tight shut, fighting the emotions threatening to spill out. Remembering my family was always hard, my mind then wandered to Jacqui, I was going to miss her so much. My grip tightened on the knife as I pressed the blade harder against my skin. My eyes snapped open at the feeling of something trickling down my arm. I glanced down to see red.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, dropping the knife and looking down at the fresh wound on my upper wrist. Tear welled up as I stood there, staring down at the cut. I clutched my arm until a hand was placed, causing me to jump and turn around. I looked up at Daryl who stared down at me, a shocked expression on his face. The tears finally spilled and began to pour down my cheeks. "I'm so sorry, I was thinking then...this...it just...." I stuttered as Daryl pulled me into a tight hug. He gently shushed me, and played with my hair as I sobbed. "I can't, I can't loose anyone else! I can't do this anymore, I can't live anymore!" I cried. Daryl pulled away and held my face in his hands, his rough thumbs rubbing small circles on my cheeks, occasionally wiping away some of my tears.

"Don't say that!" He exclaimed.

"I can't...I don't think I can survive if I loose anyone else!" I sobbed. 

"Hey, you're not gonna loose anyone else, okay?" He reassured. I sniffled before giving him a small nod. He placed a light kiss on my lips before, he took my hand and helped me down off the RV.

"Oh my god, what happened?" Lori exclaimed. "Did she get bit?" Daryl shook his hand at her, waving off her question before turning to Dale.

"You got any bandages?" He asked. I kept my eye fixated on the floor as I clutched my bloodied arm. I felt Daryl grab my hand again and pull me over to his bike. He ordered me to sit on it before getting me to hold out my arm. He began wrapping my wound as I continued to stare at the floor. I glanced up at my arm as the blood began to soak through the first lay of bandage. He wrapped it up a couple more times before taking the remains back to Dale.

"Right, let's roll out guys!" Shane called, as car engine began to roar to life. Daryl climbed on his bike, and I pulled my leg over before wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head on his back. I stared out at the lifeless city as we began our 125 mile journey to Fort Benning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We'd been on the road for about an hour, our ride was silent, my arm began to sting with pain. I pulled it from round Daryl's torso and inspected it. The blood had seeped through the thick layer of cotton. Tears sprang to my eyes again, as I pressed my head against Daryl's back.

"You okay baby?" He called over his shoulder. I didn't speak, just nodded, even though he couldn't see me. I wrapped my arm back around his waist again and looked out into the countryside. I closed my eyes again, not trying to fall asleep, just trying to think of something happy. My eyes reopened again as we began to slow down. I looked up to see a heard of abandoned cars, Daryl weaved through the first few before turning back and driving over to the RV.