Chapter 71.

I woke up in the makeshift bed that Daryl had made for him and I on the floor. It was like the one we first made at the prison. I sat up stretching my arms out and looking out the window. I frowned when I saw smoke. Quickly standing up, I grabbed my knife before picking up my gun. I snuck round the small apartment, coming to another window. I dropped my gun and tears filled my eyes when I saw Daryl carrying the small boy's body towards a fire he'd made. I rushed round to the door, opening it as Daryl gently placed the the boys body into the fire. I walked by his side, staring down into the fire. Taking Daryl's hand, I then looked up at him.

"Thank you." I whispered. He glanced at me and nodded. I let his hand go and slowly walked inside, heading into the bedroom. I grabbed my bag and stuffed all of my things into it, including a book I'd found, Tom Sawyer. Carol told me about it.

"That car was headed downtown. I say we get up in one of the tall ones, get ourselves a view, see what we see." Daryl explained, walking into the room. I smiled and looked at him.

"We can stay close to the buildings and keep quiet, but sooner or later, we're gonna be drawing 'em." I explained, picking up my gun and slinging it over my shoulder.

After leaving the building, we continued making our way through the city, keeping close to the buildings. We took out a few walkers along the way but tried our best to lay low. Right now, we were running along the side of a building. Daryl had spotted a place high up enough for us to see out into the city. He stopped us at a corner before looking round it. After a moment he looked back at me.

"All right, we can get up there. There's a bridge." He told me. I nodded before he dropped his bag, pulling out a pad of paper and setting it a light with his lighter. He then threw the pad out into the street, attracting the walkers to it. Daryl then lifted his aim before walking out, gesturing me to follow. I grabbed Daryl's bag and followed him around the corner and into the parking lot connecting to the building. Daryl took his bag back before we continued through the lot. We entered through the door which lead to the bridge where we found walkers in sleeping bags. I frowned down at the sight as Daryl began killing them. We then came to a line of tents. There were walkers in them, trying to get out.

"Some days, I don't know what the hell to think." Daryl commented as we slid passed the tents.

"It's chained up." I told Daryl, looking down at the door. He put his arrow in his mouth before pulling open the door.

"Climb through, you'll fit." He told me pointing at the small gap. I sighed before kneeling down. I pushed my bag and gun through the gap before climbing through it. Daryl handed me his crossbow before I watched in amusement as he squeezed through the gap. "Good thing we skipped breakfast." He grumbled. I laughed at him and he sent a glare my way. I held back another laughed as we began to scope out the rooms. Daryl whistled to me then gestured me to follow him. I walking into a room behind him, looking round. He glanced back at me as I looked at the paintings on the walls before I walked to the window. Staring out at the dull, lifeless city I thought about all the memories from the camp just outside of here. I frowned at the burned washed out city beneath us.

"How did we get here?" I mumbled as Daryl walked up beside me.

"Mm-mm. We just did." He said, his shoulder brushing against mine. I leant into him slightly.

"You still haven't asked me what happened. After Ty and I met up with Carol, the girls?" I sighed, looking up at him.

"Yeah, I know what happened. They ain't here." He told me. I stood up straight, shaking my head.

"It was worse than that." I retorted, looking down, trying to hold back tears. Daryl placed his hand on my cheek, making me look up at him. He lifted the other and held my head in his hands.

"The reason I said we get to start over, is because we gotta. Try and go back to the way it was..." He trailed, stepping closer to me. I leant in and quickly pecked his lips before stepping away.

"Yeah." I sighed. I felt Daryl's stare pull away from me as he looked out the window again. He then stepped forward, lifting his hand and peering out the window. "You see something?" I asked.

"I don't know. Hand me that rifle." He ordered. I nodded before picking up the rifle and giving it to him. Daryl took it and peered through the scope before handing it back to me. "Right there." He told me, pointing through the glass. I lifted the rifle and looked through the scope seeing a white van with crosses on the rear view window.

"It's been there a while but its definitely one of 'em." I said, dropping the rifle.

"It's definitely some kind of lead." He added.

"We should fill up." I told him.

"All right." Daryl grumbled as I grabbed my flask from my bag, I used the water fountain to fill it up before taking a sip from it. I looked over at Daryl to see him staring up at a painting with a frown.

"What?" I asked, walking over to him. He looked down at me.

"I bet this cost some rich prick a lot of money." He told me. I chuckled and handed him the flask. He took it before continuing. "Looks like a dog sat in paint, wiped its ass all over the place." He explained, using his hand to follow the pattern.

"Really? I kinda like it." I said, smirking at him. He chuckled this time.

"Stop." He said.

"I'm serious!" I exclaimed with a smile. "You don't know me." I claimed. He walked over to me as I pulled on my gun.

"Yep, you keep tellin' yourself that." He told me before kissing my cheek. I blushed slightly before walking over to the door which Daryl was holding open. I pulled off my gun and bag and pushed them through before climbing through myself. As Daryl began to climb through someone snatched my gun from the floor and aimed it at me.

"Daryl, don't." I called but I was too lat.

"Get up." The guy snapped at Daryl who stood up, glaring at the man. "Hands up, both of you." He added. I lifted my hands as Daryl continued to glare. "Lay down your crossbow." He ordered Daryl.

"You got some sack on you." Daryl sneered.

"Look, nobody has to get hurt. I just need weapons, that's it." The boy told us. "So, please, lay down your crossbow." Daryl slowly and reluctantly dropped his crossbow to the floor. "Back up." The boy then ordered. Daryl and I stepped back as the guy grabbed Daryl's crossbow off the floor. "Sorry about this. You look tough. You'll be all right." He said before cutting into the two tents and releasing the walkers. I pulled out my hand gun and shot a walker as Daryl stabbed the other in the head. I then lifted my aim to the guy but Daryl pushed my arms down as I shot. I glared up at him before the two of us rushed after the guy. Unfortunately for us, he'd locked the doors, resulting in us finding another way out.

"Three bullets. We're in the middle of a city. He was stealing our weapons." I ranted as we walked through the desolate building. Daryl was storming ahead of me. "Did you think I was gonna kill him?" I then asked but got no reply. "I was aiming for his leg. Could that have killed him? Maybe, I don't know but he was stealing our weapons." I exclaimed sarcastically.

"He's a damn kid." Daryl argued as we reached the door, he began to pick the lock.

"Without weapons we could die." I snapped. "Beth could die." I added, glaring at him.

"We'll find more weapons." Daryl grumbled. I scoffed.

"I don't want you to die! I don't want Beth to die! I don't want anybody at the church to die, but I can't stand around and watch it happen either." I yelled. "I can't. That's why I left. I just had to be somewhere else..."

"Well, you ain't somewhere else; you're right here. Tryin'." Daryl cut in, looking at me. I glanced down as he continued with the doorm

"Look, you're not who you were and neither am I. I'm not that scared girl that you found anymore Daryl!" I told him. "And I don't know if I believe in God anymore or heaven, but if I'm going to hell, I'm making damn sure I'm holding it off as long as I can." I finished, now panting. The door popped open and Daryl looked at it for a moment. He then turned back to me.

"I know you're not that girl anymore, Pipe, you're stronger now." He told me before exiting the room. I blink back the tears before following him out.