Chapter 63.

Daryl's Point of View.

I got out with Beth. We've together for about a day now and still had no luck with finding anyone. She was too hopeful, thinking they were alive. They weren't. She wasn't, she couldn't be, could she. Beth wanted a drink so right now we were in an old house I found with Michonne. There was moonshine in here so I gave her that to drink. 

"What's the matter?" I asked as she stared down at the glass. 

"Nothing." She replied. "It's just... my dad always said bad moonshine can make you go blind." She explained. 

"Ain't nothin' worth seeing out there anymore anyway." I told her. She sighed before looking down at her drink. She shrugged before taking a gulp of it. 

"That's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted." She said, pulling a face and looking up at me. I shrugged before she downed the rest of it. "Second round's better." She said before giggling. 

"Slow down." I told her. 

"This one's for you." She retorted. 

"No, I'm good." I denied, shaking my head. 

"Why?" Beth asked. 

"Someone's got to keep watch." I replied. 

"So, what, you're like my chaperone now?" She questioned. 

"Just drink lots of water." I told her. 

"Yes, Mr. Dixon." She said, reminding me of Piper. I glanced back at her before shaking my head. I began hammering pieces of fabric up over the windows. Beth began looking round the house. 

"Who'd go into a store and walk out with this?" She exclaimed, pulling out a bra shape ornament. 

"My dad, that's who." I told her. She looked up at me frowning. "Oh, he's a dumbass, he'd set those up on top of the TV set, use them as target practice." I explained. 

"He shot things inside your house?" Beth asked. 

"It was just a bunch of junk anyway. That's how I knew what this place was; that shed out there, my dad had a place just like this." I told her. "You got your Dumpster chair, that's for sitting in and your drawers all summer drinking, got your fancy buckets that's for spitting chaw in after your old lady tells you to stop smoking." I explained before picking up a newspaper. "You got your internet." I told her. A walker started growling out side the window before Beth could reply. She looked up at me and I waved her off. "It's just one of 'em." I told her, looking out the window. 

"Should we get it?" Beth asked. 

"If he keeps making too much noise, yeah." I said. 

"Well, if we're gonna be trapped again, we might as well make the best of it." She said, grabbing a jar of Moonshine and holding it out to me. "Unless you're too busy chaperoning, Mr. Dixon." She added, sarcastically. 

"Hell, might as well make the best of it." I sighed, sitting on the armchair. "Home, sweet home." I added before drinking. 

....................................

"I know, let's play a drinking game." Beth suddenly said, a little while later before standing up. She pulled a table between us before sitting on one side of it. I pushed myself onto the floor and just looked at her. "So first I say something I've never done and if you have done it, you drink, and if you haven't, I drink. Then we switch." She explained. I just continued to look at her. "You really don't know this game?" She asked. 

"I ain't never needed a game to get lit before." I told her. 

"Wait, are we starting?" She asked.