Chapter 70.

In this chapter, you get to find out more about Piper's past and what she went through when she was younger. Also it fits in with this chapter perfectly.

We'd been following the car for about half our now and from the looks of the road signs, we were near Atlanta. Back to where it all started, where we met Rick, where Merle was chained. It felt weird, coming back here again.

"So it was just you and Beth after?" I asked Daryl as he drove.

"Yeah." He mumbled.

"Did you save her?" I asked, looking over at him.

"She's tough. She saved herself." He told me. I smiled slightly. "We were out there for a while. We got cornered, she got out in front of me and... I don't know, she was gone." He explained. "I came out and a car's pullin' out with a white cross on the window." He said.

"Just like that one?" I asked.

"Yep." Daryl nodded as he ran over a walker. After a moment of silence, Daryl spoke again. "Rick's gonna wonder where we went, tank's runnin' low." He grumbled.

"Just run him off the road, end this quick." I told him. He shook his head, glancing back at me.

"Nah, we're good for a bit." He said.

"But if they're holdin' her somewhere, we can get it out of the driver." I pushed, frowning at him.

"Yeah, but if he don't talk, we're back to square one." Daryl retorted. "Right now we got the advantage, we'll see who they are. If they're a group, see what they can do and then we'll do what we gotta do to get her back." Daryl explained. I sighed but agreed.

"Looks like they're heading north, I-85." I told Daryl, reading a road sign. He glanced at me before back at the road. "Long time no see." I mumbled as Atlanta came into view. Daryl scoffed and I looked over at him. "What?" I asked.

"Nothin' just rememberin' stuff from that camp." He told me. I smiled, remembering stuff too. Daryl began to slow down as the car in front of us came to a halt. He parked up the car and stared out at the one in front of us. "What the hell's he waiting for?" Daryl grumbled. I frowned as the taillights went out and the door opened. "There's two of 'em." He added as the person bent down a spoke into the car. "Is that a cop?" My hand slowly went to my gun as the man began to walk. Daryl glanced down at my had.

"They might've seen us." I told him, he looked back out at the man who'd now disappeared behind at building. We continued to stare out when suddenly a walker thumped on the window. I jumped, my heart beat speeding up. It slowly went down as I turned away. The walker continued to thump on the window, snarling at Daryl and I. The officer reappeared, with what looked like a body. He dragged the body before dropping it. He dusted his hands off before heading back to his car, however the walker caught his attention and he looked over in our direction. I glanced at Daryl slightly, he was still staring out the window at the officer. The officer then quickly got back into his car and driving off. Daryl quickly began to start up the car but it only sputtered out noises before shutting off again.

"Aw, shit! Tank's tapped." He snapped. "They'd have taken the bypass and they didn't. They must be holed up in the city somewhere." He explained. I nodded as more walkers began to appear. "We gotta move, find someplace to hole up till sunlight." He added as I looked round, recognising this place.

"I know a place just a couple of blocks from here." I told him. He frowned at me. "We can make it." I told him. He nodded. I placed my gun back before pulling out knife, I rolled down the window and stabbed the walkers head, letting it fall to the ground. The two of us climbed out the car before Daryl began to follow me. We took out a few walkers along the way before we came to the building I was looking for. "Shit, door's locked." I said as a tried to open the door.