Chapter 78.

Piper's point of view.

I was woken by the sound of grunts and snarls, followed by the bashing of the barn doors. I immediately climbed to my feet and rushed over to find Daryl struggling to keep the doors closed. I rushed over, placing my back against the door and using my feet to help Daryl hold the door shut. I let out a yell as more walkers fought back to push the doors open. We were quickly joined by Maggie, who used her hands to push the doors. Suddenly Sasha rushed to my side, holding the door. The rest of the group soon followed, all pushing back against the walkers to keep the doors shut. Abraham's large arms came over us as he used his them to force the doors closed. I glanced up at Daryl, his face was red with determination. He glanced down at me but I squeezed my eyes shut as my feet began to slide in the wet mud beneath us.

Suddenly a large crack of thunder boomed above us, followed by a crashing noise and the snapping of branches. The snarls subsided as did the pressure on the barn doors. Slowly and hesitantly we all pulled away from the doors, stepping back slightly. Daryl looked through the gap in the doors and grunted.

"It was a tree, it fell on 'em." He mumbled.

"Alright, everybody, get some rest, we can check it out in the morning." Rick told everyone. The group began to disperse round the barn again, separating off from each other. Daryl took my hand and pulled me to the back of the barn. He dropped his crossbow the the floor and sat down, gesturing me to sit beside him. I slumped down next to him as he lay down on the floor. I laid down beside him, lying on my side. He was on his side too, allowing me to reach over and brush his hair back out of his face. Daryl turned away, lying on his back. I sighed and rested my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. I placed my hand over Daryl's chest, he lifted his hand up and placed it on top of mine.

"Do you wanna get married?" He mumbled. My heart dropped and my head shot up. I stared down at him in pure shock, his question raced through my head.

"What?" I questioned, breathless. He sat up too, looking over at me.

"You heard." He said, with a slight smile. I opened my mouth to speak but no words left my lips.

"Yes." I finally breathed out. "I wanna get married." I confirmed.

"Alright then, we'll get married." He told me before lying back down. I beamed and laid down beside him.

"Wait, did we just get engaged?" I asked.

"Yeah." He grumbled. I smiled slightly, knowing Beth would probably be so happy right now, and rested my head back onto his chest. My eyes drifted closed and I slowly fell asleep. That's just the thing I needed, to keep me going. I knew Daryl was still devastated, so was I but I think we both needed this, something we could hold onto.

............................................................................................

Daryl's Point of View.

Soon after Pipe fell asleep I got up to keep watch. I couldn't get to sleep, so I decided to occupy myself. Early morning soon came round though and I decided it was safe enough to go sit down. I was sat at the back of the barn, looking over at Piper sleeping, I though about last night, before she fell asleep, not knowing why I said or did it but I did. I asked Pipe to marry me. I sighed as a presence fell beside me. I turned slightly to see Maggie.

"You should get some sleep." She told me.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"It's okay to rest now." She added. I looked up at her as she turned to Sasha, who was sleeping on a heap of hay.

"He was tough." I said, referring to Tyreese.

"He was." Maggie agreed. I looked down slightly.

"So was she." I added. "She didn't know it, but she was." I said, with a small smile. Maggie let a small smile seep through too.

"Pipe's tough too, physically." Maggie then said. "But emotionally, she wearing away, she needs you , more than you know, she does." She explained, I nodded looking back at Piper. "You gotta promise me you'll always be there for her." Maggie added.

"I will, promise." I said. I then grabbed the small music box Maggie had given to me earlier. "The gearbox had some grit in it." I told her, hand the box over.

"Thank you." Maggie smiled before getting up. I watched as she got up and walked over to Pipe, lightly tapping her.

Piper's Point of View.

I was woken up by Maggie shaking my arm. My eyes slowly opened and I yawned. Maggie sent me a small smile before speaking. 

"We're gonna go and check out the aftermath of last night, do you want to come with us?" I asked. I smiled and nodded before slowly getting to my feet. Maggie and I walked over to Sasha. I glanced down at Daryl as we passed him, sending a small smile his way. He sent a nod my way as I turned away. Maggie lightly shook Sasha, causing her to flinch and look up at us. "Come on." Maggie whispered. Sasha looked at me before back at Maggie, she then nodded and stood up. The three of us exited the barn, weapons ready in case of any walkers. There were walkers, but they were twisted and trapped in and around the fallen trees. There was a paths, mile long where trees had crashed down because of the storm. 

"Look at this." Sasha exclaimed. 

"It should've torn us apart." I added, looking down at one of the snarling walkers. Maggie glanced back at me before ducking under a tree trunk.

"It didn't." She mumbled as Sasha and I slowly followed behind her. We came to a clearing, which looked out over a field. The sky was blue but filled with orange streaks caused by the sun rise. We sat down on a log, Maggie in the middle with Sasha and I either side, and stared out at the sun rising in the distance. 

"Why are we here?" Sasha asked. I looked over at Maggie as she spoke. 

"For this." She told Sasha, not turning away from the beautiful sight. I looked back out at the view, closing my eyes and letting the sounds consume me. 

"I see it." Sasha mumbled after a moment of silence. "Noah, that kid... he said he didn't know if he can make it." Sahsa began, causing me to open my eyes, but not look at her. "That's how I feel." She added. 

"I feel like that too." I whispered, not looking at them. 

"You're gonna make it." Maggie whispered too. "The three of us, we will. That's the hard part." She told us, her voice shaking as tears filled her eyes. I grabbed her hand, holding it in mine. Sasha glanced at us but quickly turned away. Maggie then let go of my hand and lifted the small music box that Carl had given her. "Daryl fixed it." She mumbled as she opened it. She wound it up before letting go of the switch. The box clicked a few times and nothing happened. "You got to be kidding me." Maggie exclaimed, making Sasha and I laugh, Maggie then joined in with the laughter. 

"Hey. Hi. I didn't mean to interrupt." A voice sounded, catching our attention, Maggie and Sasha pulled out their guns, aiming them at the man who'd suddenly appeared. I stepped behind them, still getting a view of the man. "Good morning. My name is Aaron. He introduced, sounding friendly. "I know, this... Stranger, danger, but... I'm a friend. I-I'd like to talk to the person in charge... Rick, right?" Aaron asked. 

"How do you know?"

"Why?" Sasha and I said at the same time. 

"I have good news." He spoke as the music box began to play.