Chapter 82.

Piper's Point of View.

We slowly approached the gates, as they slowly opened. There was a silence over the group, while Aaron lead Eric inside the gates, handing him off to another person before turning back to us. Suddenly, something rustled in the bushes, causing us to raise our weapons in that direction, however the only one to fire was Daryl. He then bent down and picked up the dead possum. We turned back to the gate which was now fully open, revealing another man. 

"We brought dinner." Daryl spoke, holding up the deceased animal. The man looked at us wearily before Aaron spoke again. 

"It's okay. Come on in, guys." He told us. We slowly followed him in, still gripping tightly to our weapons. The gates slowly closed behind us, leaving the RV and car outside. 

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons." The man from the gate spoke, causing us to send weary glances at each other. "You stay, you hand them over." The man pushed. 

"We don't know if we want to stay." Rick told him, stepping forward. 

"It's fine, Nicholas." Aaron told the man. 

"If we were gonna use them, we would have started already." Rick added. 

"Let them talk to Deanna first." Aaron told Nicholas. 

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham asked. 

"She knows everything you'd want to know about this place." Aaron explained. "Rick, why don't you start?" He then suggested. Snarling then sounded from behind us, we turned to see a walker heading to the gates. 

"Sasha." Rick ordered. Sasha nodded before turning and shooting the walker as the second gate closed. "It's a good thing we're here." Rick spoke before we followed Aaron. We were lead over to a house which Aaron told the group to wait outside of before he took  Rick inside. I sat down on the porch steps and Carl sat down beside me, he was holding Judith in his arms. 

"So, what do you think so far?" I whispered to him. 

"It seems nice." Carl told me. 

"Do you feel like it's safe?" I asked him. He didn't reply, only look up at me. He the nodded a small nod and looked away again. "Me too, bud." I mumbled, wrapping my arm round his shoulder. 

................................................

After Rick's interview Deanna lead us to the inventory where we were to hand in our guns to Olivia, the woman in charge on the inventory. I pulled out my handgun and placed it on the pile before pulling my shotgun over my shoulders and placing it on  the pile. I then stepped back and stood by Daryl. Glenn and Noah then went after me, placing the rest of their guns on the pile. Carol went last, struggling to pull the rifle over her shoulder. She then sent a wide smile to Olivia. 

"Should've brought a bigger bin." Olivia commented, pulling the weapons away. Carol glanced up at me, her smile turning into a smirk as she winked at me. I smiled, understanding what she was up to.

"I'd like to talk to Piper, next." Deanna then spoke. I stepped forward and smiled at her. She gestured me to follow her and I did, into the same house Rick was in. "Please sit." She gesture to  a chair in front of a couch and camera. "You don't mind if I film our talk, do you?" Deanna then asked. 

"No, not at all." I smiled. She nodded before pressing a button on the camera then sitting down. 

"Hello, I'm Deanna Monroe." She introduced with her full name. 

"I'm Piper...Greene." I replied, thinking about it for a moment.

"So, Aaron tells me you're like Rick's second in command." Deanna told me. 

"Oh, no that's Daryl, I'm more like his-um---conscience-the angel fighting that devil on his shoulder, I try to help him make the right decision. In a way, I always have been, since our first camp." I explained, trailing off a little. 

"So you've known Rick since the start?" She asked. 

"No, three months in, Daryl was the one I met first, then Carl, Rick's son, and his mom, Lori." I looked down thinking about Lori, I really did miss her. "Rick helped a group of our people get out of the City and back to our camp safely, for that we were grateful, one of the people he saved was my brother, Glenn." I smiled, thinking back to the day they returned to camp. How relieved I felt. 

"So Rick became your leader?" 

"Yeah, it just happened that way, we all looked up to him, we still do." I smiled. Deanna smiled back at me. 

"Enough about Rick, what about you? What about your roll in the group?" She questioned. 

"Oh, I'd always sneak out on runs with Glenn, it kinda had to be that way at the first camp, we were the fastest, we could get in and out of the city with no fuss. I say sneak, as Daryl used to be extremely protective over me back then." I told her. "Then at the farm, I was often sent out on the search party to look for someone who went missing in our group." I added. "And at the prison, I'd also go out on runs, then I fell pregnant." I looked down. 

"Oh, is Judith your baby?" Deanna asked. 

"No, no, Rick and I aren't--no my baby was still born." I explained slowly. Deanna sent me a sympathetic smile. 

"So Piper, how would you feel about having a job again?" Deanna then asked me. 

"A job?" 

"Yes, we have a few runner jobs going, how would you like to be a runner again? Going out and getting supplies for this place." She told me with a smile. 

"I would actually like that, and can I just say that this place is amazing, Deanna." I exclaimed, with a large smile.

"I'm glad you like it Piper, and I can already tell that you are going to have a huge, positive impact on this community." Deanna chirped. "Well, that's all, thank you for your time, could you please send in Carl, when you go out?" She asked as I stood from my seat. I nodded before leaving. 

As I exited the house, the group were still gathered outside the house. When they heard me leave, all eyes were on me and I sent a small smile as I walked down the steps. 

"She wants to see Carl." I told Rick who nodded down at his son. Carl stood up with Judith and headed up; into the house. I then walked over to Rick and stood next to him. "I really like it here." I whispered, looking up at him. He looked down at me and smiled, the smallest smile.