THE PAST ALWAYS COMES BACK...

Unedited
THAT SAME NIGHT
Alison's POV
"COURTNEY GET IN HERE! Emily shouts as Courtney walks in the door throwing her bag down.
"What's wrong?" Courtney questions seeing the disappointment written all over our faces.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Emily questions.
"I take it you're talking about Maya" Our oldest daughter starts. "I knew she would run straight to you" She mumbles under her breath.
"Excuse me? Come again" Emily says as I just stare shaking my head. "What is that supposed to mean?" She asks.
"Meaning I remember Maya" Courtney tells us while rolling her eyes. "She can't just pretend that she didn't do anything" she adds.
"Courtney what are you talking about...
"I REMEMBER OKAY!" She shouts taking me by surprise. "I MAY HAVE BEEN YOUNG BUT I WASN'T STUPID, I REMEMBER YOU GUYS FIGHTING ALL OF THE TIME AND YOU CRYING AT THE DOOR" she adds pointing at me. "I REMEMBER MAYA TRYING HER BEST TO MESS UP THIS FAMILY AND I REMEMBER HER KIDNAPPING COREY!" Courtney yells.
"First of all don't ever raise your voice at me again" my wife calmly tells her. "Now since you remember everything I'm gonna give you a minute to remember who the hell you're talking to and then you can come talk to me and tell us what's going on with you" she adds. "Because I know this has nothing to do with Maya."
Leaving Courtney standing there we begin to walk into the kitchen until we pass the den seeing the kids worried faces.
"Homework" I tell them closing the door to the soundproof room so they won't hear anything.
Now in the kitchen Emily sighs releasing a breath of anger.
"Who does she think she is yelling at us? Emily scoffs pouring herself a glass of water.
Looking down I see her furiously tapping her foot onto the marble floor.
Something she does when she's pissed, along with raking her hands through her hair.
"Calm down" I tell her as she hops up onto the island counter to sit down. "We already know what's going on" I say now standing between her legs with my hands placed on her outer thighs. "She's rebelling again" I add referring to the time Courtney started to act up during our separation.
~Flashback~
In the car on the way to Emily's hotel I look into my rear view mirror seeing Courtney reading a book on her tablet while Corey and Dylan sleep in their car seats.
She's still ignoring me for yelling and cursing at her in the house earlier today.
"Court" I say but she doesn't even budge. "Courtney mama's sorry" I start. "I was feeling really stressed out and I didn't mean to yell at you" I tell her. " I love you and I would never wanna hurt your feelings" I lastly tell her. "Courtney baby can you look at me for a second?" I ask causing her to look up at me with a dirty look before putting her earbuds in and looking back down at her book.
She is literally the most stubborn little girl I've ever met, next to me at her age.
Coming to a red light I decide to text her telling her how sorry I am.
Once I start driving again I hear her tablet chime indicating that she received my message.
Watching her I see her read the message before turning off her tablet and throwing it in her sleep away bag.
Sighing I pull into the parking lot of The Radley hotel taking them up to the room where Emily's staying.
Now at the door Emily picks up Corey and Dylan from their carriers as I grab Courtney's hand stopping her from going inside.
Turning around to look at me I let go of her hand.
"Courtney I'm so sorry" I start. "Mama didn't mean to...
Cutting me off before I can even finish Courtney turns around and walks inside the hotel room shutting the door in my face.
Feeling my morning sickness coming on again I quickly rush out of the building making my way to my car with tears strolling down my cheeks.
~End Of Flashback~
While talking to Emily we hear the sounds of footsteps walk into the kitchen making the both of us turn to see Courtney standing in the doorway in tears.
"C'mere" I tell her as she walks over into my arms.
"I'm sorry" Courtney apologizes. "Mommy I'm sorry" she apologizes to Emily as well.
"Courtney I don't like the thought of Maya being around either" I tell her. "But mom is right, this has nothing to do with her so what's going on?" I ask.
Now standing in both mine and Emily's arms Courtney starts to sob.
"Amy's gone" she cries. "And I didn't do anything to save her, I could've saved her if I would've just stuck up for her and been her friend" she wails out on Emily's shoulder.
"Bug what happened to Amy wasn't your fault" Emily tells her. "Even if you tried to stop or prevent her from doing it she probably would've done it anyway" Emily adds.
"But she was bullied and I could've stuck up for her, all I did was tell people to stop because she was my friend when I should've been telling them to stop because no one deserves to be treated that way" Courtney whimpers. "And you know at school no one even notices that she's gone" she sniffles. "When we came back to school they made us do youth counseling and one girl literally asked who's Amy, Maya told her that Amy was a student and she said oh that weird girl with the glasses" "no one cared that Amy was funny and really nice and the sweetest soul that probably ever walked this earth" "they still don't care but if she was someone popular everyone would know." She sobs out. "Why didn't she just come to me? Why'd she choose to hurt her family and friends?" Our daughter wails.
"When I was pregnant with you I used to cut" I confess to her causing Emily to look up at me with shocked eyes.
I never told her what I did I just told her that I was really depressed at the time.
"Why would you do that?" Courtney looks up at me with tears leaking from her eyes like a broken faucet.
"Because sometimes you feel like there's no other way" I start off. "Sometimes that's how people get rid of the pain" I add. "Maybe Amy just wanted to numb her pain and at some point she became numb to the feeling so she took it to the next option which she probably thought was her only option" I tell her. "Some of the strongest people have weird ways of coping" I lastly add.
Finally finished with crying Courtney wipes the rest of her tears before lifting her head to us.