ROAD TRIP

1 WEEK LATER
Courtney's POV

*Knock, Knock, Knock*

Standing on the Lopez's doorstep I continue to knock until I see Max's dad come to the door.

"Courtney" Max's dad George says with a coffee mug in his hand. "Do you know what time it is?" He questions.

"Yeah" I answer. "Its eleven in the morning" I remind him.

"Oh yeah" George quips. "How are you? Do you need something?" the older man asks.

"I'm okay" I tell him. "Is Max home?" I ask.

Still getting no answer I hear Max in the other room whispering and telling his father to tell me that he isn't here.

"Uhh..No he's not here right now" George lies with a guilty smile on his face.

Feeling the tears welling in my eyes I simply nod my head while giving him a fake smile as well

"Could you tell him that I need to talk to him please?" I ask.

"Sure" his father says before walking away and shutting the door.

Turning away from the door I slowly walk down the stairs until I hear Max inside his room shouting at his sister Carmen.

"COURTNEY! I hear my mom call making me turn to see my whole family packing into the car.

Each year my family takes a small road trip to some beach house in Rhode Island.

Lately things have been a little hectic so we haven't really kept up with the tradition for a few years.

"Coming" I state loud enough for them to hear me before getting in the car along with everyone else.

"Who's ready for the annual DiLaurentis-Fields Road Trip?" Mama questions all of us.

"WE AREEE!" The kids shout making me roll my eyes.

I love how excited they get about little things.

They literally have no clue that life is about to start kicking their asses.

Feeling my phone vibrating in my pocket I pull it out to see a text message from Mechelle.

Carrot top 🥕: Are you okay? If you need to talk about it I'm here.

After reading his message and ignoring it I place my earphones in my ears while leaning my head against the window blasting Fooling Myself by Dana Williams and trying to erase any memory of the curly headed Brunette boy that happens to be my first love.