PRE BABY FUN

THE NEXT DAY
Alison's POV

"Dylan you took your meds right?" I ask my son as I get the kids ready for school.

"Yeah" Dylan answers.

"And you did your exercises?" I question.

"Yeah mama" my son whines in an annoyed tone.

Since being diagnosed Emily and me have been working extremely hard to press Dylan about keeping up with his medication and trying to prevent him from having another episode.

Within the last two weeks he's had one episode because he wasn't taking his pills.

Ever since Dylan was a baby he hated taking medicine, whether it was cough medicine or baby's Tylenol he always cried whenever he had to take it.

Last week his doctor switched his medicine and gave him stimulants instead.

Technically Risperidone isn't a stimulant but it helps treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and irritability caused by autism.

It calms him down and it's been working but he hates taking it.

"Come here" I tell him.

Dropping his backpack Dylan walks over to me in a slouchy manner.

"Baby, you know this is for the best right?" I ask him. "You're taking them to help you get better" I add.

"I'm not crazy I don't need medicine" Dylan responds making me take his chin in between my two fingers.

"Dylan we know you're not crazy and we know you're not stupid" I let him know. "But we want you to get better" I add. "Isn't that what you want?" I question.

"Yes but why can't I just try something else?" My son asks.

"Something like what?" I ask.

Thinking before he answers Dylan quickly looks back up at me as a lightbulb goes off in his head.

"You and mommy said that martial arts calms me down, so maybe if I went to go train with Bentley this summer I'll be okay and I won't have to take those pills anymore" he suggests.

For the last past month he's been talking about training with Bentley.

We told him no before but i think we should sleep on it some more.

"I don't know yet Dyl, we'd have to talk with mom about that" I inform him. "But for right now take your pills because I know you didn't actually take them this morning" I say handing him his bottle while watching him take it this time.

"Aaaah" He says opening his mouth to show me.

"Thank you" I quip. "Now go finish getting ready" I lastly demand making him go upstairs.

Having a child with autism isn't easy. To be honest it sucks but I can't even imagine how it feels for him. Dylan's only 11, he shouldn't have to take pills and be bullied in school because of his autism. If I could take all of the torture and pain for him I would do it in a heartbeat.