WHEN IN PORTLAND

"Em" Alison called out to her wife's name but she didn't respond. She just sat there with her hands clasped in front of her mouth staring into an open space.

 She just sat there with her hands clasped in front of her mouth staring into an open space

She always does it when she's trying to process something big. She did it when she first found out about Courtney and how Alison ended having Courtney at such a young age. She did it when they found out about Dylan's autism. It's just something that Alison learned to love over the years. She loved the fact that her mind was so opened to whatever news she just received but at that moment she really needed her to listen.

"Emily" She sat down next to her placing her hand on her leg gaining her attention.

Emily was strong. She was one of the strongest people Alison's ever met and she rarely cried but when she did it broke Alison's heart into pieces to see her like that.

"When'd you find out?" Emily finally croaked up trying to hold herself together for Alison's sake.

"Right before you visited me in Portland" She confessed. "Do you remember that night?" She asked her wife.

"That was the night I came to pick up the divorce papers" Emily reminded herself. "I could never forget that night" she muttered as her mind wandered off to the stormy night.

*Knock Knock Knock*

"It's open" Alison replied quickly wiping her tears and removing her reading glasses.

She had been reading over the divorce papers that Emily sent her for days now. She understood what it all meant, she just couldn't bring herself to sign them.

"Are those the papers?" Emily asked walking past her without even looking at her.

"Yeah" Alison answered her question while staring at her waiting for her to look back

"Where's the envelope?" Emily stubbornly asked searching for the big orange envelope on Alison's desk.