HARD PILL TO SWALLOW

2 WEEKS LATER
Alison's POV

Today's Pam's surgery and I don't think Emily's ready.

In all honesty, I don't think any of us are.

We still haven't told the kids but we ended up telling Courtney.

Courtney says she's fine but not knowing if your grandma is die today is a hard pill to swallow.

I stayed up with Emily all night watching movies and talking to her about things that'll probably help ease her mind.

I'm super tired but there's no one else I'd rather be sleep deprived for.

"Em" I whisper into her ear waking her up.

Watching her eyes open I see tears drop down her cheeks.

"What if she doesn't make it?" Emily sniffles.

"She'll make it Emily" I let her know. "If you're this strong and independent woman that continues to fight life everyday and win, then I know that she's strong too because she taught you" I tell her.

"I don't know if she's strong enough for this" my wife cries out on my nude chest as I hug and comfort her.

She was really down last night so I got naked and tried to cheer her up with sex but she didn't feel like doing it so we both went to bed.

"C'mon, lets pray" I suggest while taking her hand but she stops me.

"No" Emily answers. "There's no need for that" she adds. "I've prayed every night and God clearly isn't listening" she says with a pouted but angry face.

"Baby, God puts everyone through trials and tribulations" I start. "And although you may want for your mom to be okay he doesn't give you what you want, he gives you what you need" I explain to her. "But he can hear you Em and he's definitely listening" I lastly add to the speech.

Starting to cry all over again Emily takes my hand as I begin to pray with her.

"I love you" I tell her afterwards. "And the kids love you" I add. "So we're going through this with you and we'll get through it with you too, Emily" I lastly say bringing her in for another loving hug as she releases her sorrows in my arms.

After sitting with her for a while allowing her to get herself together I release her from my hold.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"No" Emily laughs through her tears. "But I have to be so yeah lets go" she adds.

Finally done with the crying we both get in the shower before getting dressed.

Scott took the kids to school for us and Lydia will drop them off with Courtney so she can bring them to the hospital after school.

I'm just glad that we have a great support system when it comes to these things.

***
At the hospital we both sit in the waiting area waiting for Pam and Wayne.

"Hey girls" Pam speaks causing us both to look behind us.

"Mom" my wife smiles standing up to give Pam a hug.