3

_______________________________________

"Thank you so much for calming her down" Mrs L/N spoke while overlooking your peaceful face from the chair beside you.

Namjoon was sitting on the other side of you with a mug of hot coffee on the table next to him that was given to him by one of the nurses.

He wasn't a fan of hot drinks, nor anything that was remotely warm. But he thought it would be rude to decline their generosity and took the drink anyway.

"It was no problem, I'm just thankful I was here at the right time" he responded while smiling solemnly at your bandaged state.

"You're always welcome to drop by anytime, Namjoon. Out of all of her friends, I trust you the most" turning his attention to the middle aged woman, the ice user smiled in thanks for her compliment before returning to your figure.

"Did she have a panic attack like this before?" He asked curiously.

"Yes, a few years ago when she used to attend the hero academy" this sparked his attention before looking at woman across from him with widened eyes.

"What happened?" Your mother reached for your open hand and held it gently before answering the other.

"A close classmate of hers died in a villain attack during their examination... she hasn't told me the details but I didn't want to push her" biting his lip, Namjoon could finally understand why you were quick to blame yourself for when the villains took Jungkook during bootcamp.

"...was it also the reason why she didn't become a hero?" He watched as the woman nodded slowly while holding your hand tighter.

"She thought she wasn't good enough to help save people if she couldn't even help save her friend" guilt washed over the ice hero, realising that his words of persuasion to make her join him and Yoongi in a hero group did more harm than he had thought.

"...I'm such an idiot"

"Don't beat yourself down, Namjoon. Everyone has their own troubles to deal with- which reminds me. How is the search for your parents going?" Your mother asked inquisitively.

Leaning back in the chair, the blonde male looked outside the window at the pouring rain and sighed aloud.

"Nothing... I've checked all the branches and the detectives found nothing either... Thanks again for helping me search for them anyway" smiling warmly at the younger, your mother shook her hand no in response.

"It was no problem at all! It was the least we could do for protecting our daughter" suddenly, there was a knock at the door, making both adults turn to see who it could be.

"Come in!" The white door slid open to reveal an unfamiliar male to Namjoon but to your mother, she knew him as your boss.

"Mr. Kang! What a surprise- please come in" Namjoon stood up to greet to who he thinks might be a family friend.

"Thank you, Mrs. L/N. I see I've come at a bad time once again..." the Nightingale worker sighed before giving the flowers over to the short woman.

"I'll go ask the nurses for a vase to put these in- oh, Namjoon! This is Mr. Kang, Y/N's manager" she quickly introduced before leaving the room. Namjoon watched as the man walked over to him and raised his hand for a handshake.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Kim Namjoon" raising a brow, the Athena hero was unsure if the other knew him more than just a hero.

"Likewise" after the greetings were made, Mr. Kang looked over to you and his expression sullened at the sight.

"She looks so tired..."

"She's trying her hardest to get better" Namjoon explained, still seeing your beauty even in a weak state such as this.

"I'll leave her to rest then. I need to have a word with you anyway" confused at the unexpected statement, Namjoon turned to look at the male in front of him.

"Me?"

"Yes, can we go somewhere else?" He was unsure of whether to go with him and find out why or to stay here with you to make sure you're okay.

"...let's make it quick" smiling in success, Mr. Kang began to lead the way before he was stopped by your mother at the doorway with the said flowers in a vase.

"Oh? Leaving already?"

"No, Mrs. L/N. I just need to have a word with Namjoon here, briefly" understanding the situation, the middle aged woman moved aside and permitted exit for the both of them before entering the room.

Mr. Kang guided Namjoon to the lobby area where there was a mini cafe for the visitors coming and going.

"Want a drink? It's on me" the older offered while sitting down in the corner of the cafe.

"I'm alright, thanks" curiosity was eating away at him as he wondered what the man in front had installed for him.

"If you say so. Anyway, I've been sent by the hero council to talk to you" the hero council? , Namjoon thought.

"About what?"

"Well, as you know, the country no longer has a top hero group that the country can rely on and not feel like they're in danger 24/7. I've been asked to recruit some potential candidates-"

"No. Thank you for offering but I have no interest in being a new 'Protector'. Now, if you'll excuse me-" before Namjoon could leave, Mr. Kang grabbed his arm to stop him from going.

"Wait! I haven't finished" the ice manipulator looked back at your boss with sceptical eyes.

"...please listen to what I have to say" clicking his tongue in annoyance, Namjoon decided that letting him talk would be easier option to make him go.

"...go on"

"As I was saying, the hero council saw you as a top priority to become a new protector and have sent me to persuade you to join. They are willing to accept any wager you throw at them to join the new Protectors" he explained. Any wager? Pfft, yeah right, Namjoon thought.

"...I'll join if they give me 100 billion won" he stated sarcastically before standing up and walking off.

"How about 200 billion?" Stopping in his tracks, the hero didn't know if he heard right or if the other was joking around. Turning his head to look back, Namjoon saw how serious he was which only made him worried.

"...are you being serious?"

"We can go to 300 if that's a better option?" Not believing his ears, he came closer and took a seat once more.

"If I asked the hero council to find someone for me, will they?" Mr. Kang thought for a second before replying.

"I don't see why not" is this it? Will my long search finally end?, he thought.

"...so is that a yes?" Namjoon's blue eyes flickered back up, filled with determination and confidence as he spoke.

"Where do I sign?"

_______________________________________

A/n: the hero council is recruiting heroes to join the new Protectors? I wonder who'll they ask next 🤔