23

_______________________________________

It was one of those days.

The ones that you knew was going to be an average day with nothing significant happening at all.

It was to be expected. After all, you're stuck in your hospital room for the next couple of weeks.

This would have been a good time to sleep and hopefully skip some hours.

Unfortunately for you, your Dad was snoring away loudly. Making sure you wouldn't get a wink of sleep.

"...this would be a good time for a visitor to come in..." Namjoon had forewarned you that he was going to be busy for the upcoming weeks and he promised to visit you once before leaving to Jeju.

Suddenly, a knock came from the door. Your body immediately jumped in excitement, hoping that it was someone you knew to come through the door and keep you company and hopefully distract you from sad thoughts.

"Come in!" To your dismay, it was the nurse who was in charge of you.

"Good afternoon, Miss L/N. I'm just checking your vitals again" she smiled brightly before walking over with her equipment. She noticed your Dad snoring and decided to grab the remote.

"Shall I turn on the TV for you?" It was too late for you to respond as she had already turned it on. You smiled awkwardly as if to say thanks for something you didn't want but you didn't want to seem rude.

"I'm just going to check your blood pressure" nodding your head, you gave her your arm before looking up at the screen. It was showing the news channel with the hot topic already being shown.

"...the hero council have confirmed the list of potential heroes that will be tested to join the new Protectors. Their newest addition to the list is the Zeus hero, Jeon Jungkook. A twenty one year old hero with the ability to copy powers by just looking..." you were shocked. You were pretty sure that Taehyung had told you that Jungkook rejected their offer. Which clearly wasn't the case.

"They should recruit a girl hero. I'm only seeing men" the nurse spoke while writing down your data. You gulped awkwardly as the hero council had offered you to join but you rejected them also.

"Don't get me wrong, they're all amazing to look at- especially that lucky hero~. But would it kill them to get a girl in the group? This is why us women aren't as confident as we should be" you listened to her ramble on while feeling slightly guilty.

The thought of you joining the Protectors was like a mirage. You could see yourself fighting alongside everyone but you knew deep down that you didn't have the guts to do it.

You wanted to help. This was true. This was a fact.

But are you able to help?

It had been three years since your last hero lesson and your body was no longer fit for combat. Especially with your wound.

After getting discharged, you'll return back to working with Nightingale and carry on with your life just as before.

But now you had to carry another friend's death on your shoulders.

What worried you was that you didn't know if it was going to be the last time you'll experience it. It had happened twice now and who's to say it won't happen again?

You didn't want it to happen again.

You couldn't let it happen again.

Or else, you won't be able to handle it anymore. You can only feel so much grief.

"...and done! Remember, if you're having any trouble just call me over" the nurse had finished taking your data and was on her way out before smiling one more time.

Your eyes trailed back to the TV, wondering what else the news was talking about.

"...will the new Protectors rise up to save the country or will they run away if it becomes too difficult? We can only wait"

_______________________________________

A/n: come on, Y/N! Reconsider joining the new Protectors! (Fyi, my phone auto corrected 'Protectors' to 'Potatoes' and I have no words)