11

------------

------------

Previously on 'Who We Are'

------------

"Y/N! Calm down!"

"I need to- I need to make him stay!" Your eyelids began to feel heavy and your body couldn't handle the stress any longer.

"Who?! Y/N, stay awake!"

And that's all you heard before you passed out again.

_______________________________________

You heard quiet, mumbled voices as you tried to open your eyes.

It sounded like you were underwater as you couldn't make a word out of the conversation that they were having which only made you feel frustrated. As soon as you could finally see, the sight of your white hospital room ceiling filled your vision and you knew exactly where you were.

"Ugh..."

"Sweetie? Are you awake?" Your mother called out to you before rushing to your side and grabbing your handle tightly. You looked to your right to see the familiar woman which made you relax, knowing that you were safe under your mother's watch.

"You really worried me there, Y/N" confused at the sound of another person in the room, you looked to your left to see your friend of three years.

"...Jin?" You croaked out. Your body felt heavy and you couldn't bring yourself to sit up even though you had wanted to.

"Surprised? Me too" he responded sadly while reaching over to grab your hand.

"...when... did you come?" You asked while your mother poured you a glass of water.

"He was the one who found you outside, sweetie. If it weren't for him, you would have lost a lot more blood" your brain couldn't comprehend what was being said to you. Lost more blood?

"What do you-" suddenly, memories of before blacking out rushed in, making you gasp and forcing yourself to sit up. Which was a mistake.

"Oh my- agh!" You felt the pain coming from your leg as well as the bruises from your side from when you fell.

"Lay back! You just got stitched back up again" Jin warned while pushing you down gently with the help from your Mum.

"...that's why I hurt so much" you said after relaxing back in to you bed. Your mother thought this was a good time to go find the doctor since you weren't alone and she wouldn't worry while stepping out.

"I'll go find the doctor. I'll be right back, sweetie" you smiled thinly before feeling your mother kiss your forehead and then leaving the room. The room fell in to peaceful silence with the exception of the rain hitting the window and tour heart monitor beeping.

"...can I ask why?" The Eros hero asked finally with hesitancy, unsure of how you would react.

Averting your eyes, you couldn't bring yourself to explain what happened. You didn't even know what happened.

"...I don't know" seeing that you weren't going to tell him, he tried to change subject.

"I brought some pears for you" he stated while gesturing to the bowl beside you.

"I remember you'd always crave them around this time of year" you were surprised at how the other knew about one of your favourite fruit, especially when you'd crave them.

"How did you...?" He chuckled once he saw your scrunched face.

"Myunghee always complains that she has to buy them for you to eat in the mornings because you were too lazy to" the plant manipulator explained before you ah'd in response. It was true that you were too lazy to buy them but it was also because Myunghee knew where to buy the best ones in Gwangju.

"Thanks... and thank you for helping me..." you smiled shyly, thankful that he had came to you in time while also feeling ashamed that he had to see you like that.

"Don't mention it, but I don't want to see you like that again, Y/N" Jin replied sternly. Hearing how serious he was, you could only stiffly nod in response before grabbing a pear and started peeling it with the small knife.

"...how's Eros fairing?" You asked out of curiosity but also to fray away from the previous subject.

Leaning back in his chair while crossing his arms, Jin thought for awhile before answering your question.

"Honestly, better than what we had thought. The lawsuits are being nulled for now and the media are focusing more on who the new Protectors are" the memory of your conversation with Taehyung popped up in your mind.

"Oh yeah, they asked Tae to join" you were still unsure if you should be happy for the boy but then again it was his life, his choice. You were just being selfish.

"I know, they asked me too" shocked, you stopped peeling the pear and looked up at the hero.

"...did you say yes?"

"Well, they need a leader don't they?" He smirked while posing heroically, which made you chuckle.

"Of course, why did I even ask" Jin smiled in satisfaction when he saw that his efforts of cheering you up were working.

"I can't be the leader anyway if the Ice king is around" he sighed, reminding himself the news of Namjoon also joining the new Protectors along with him.

"Namjoon? He's joining too?" You weren't surprised since his abilities were up to par with the Protectors but the thought of Namjoon being one of the faces of Korea was hard to imagine.

"Mhm. No doubt they'll get that mind controller to come along with the Ice king" you could tell he wasn't fond of the duo which you still, till this day, had no clue as to why.

"They have names, Jin. And if you're going to work with them, please try to use their names" the plant hero clicked his tongue at your statement before chuckling darkly.

"I will call them by their names when they have earned my respect" you frowned at this.

"...how did I gain your respect?" You remember that the hero was very sour to you in the beginning but all of a sudden he had taken interest in you and joined you for lunch and dinner. At that time, you weren't as sociable as you used to be and instead, you wanted to stay away from people as much as possible.

His constant encounters and teasing really annoyed you back then but you found yourself being thankful to the hero. If it weren't for him, you would have probably taken much longer to break out of your shell.

The purple haired male raised his brows in amusement at your question while letting his lips curl in to a smirk.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I-I just want to know what I did to gain your respect is all..." you stuttered, embarrassed that you asked such a weird question.

"...I think I'll keep that to myself" he teased before chucking slightly at your pout.

"You never change, huh"

"Not even if the world ended tomorrow"

_______________________________________