Chapter 87

Leah POV

I slowly wake up to the sound of small sniffles, the sound taking me out of my slumber as my eyelashes begin to flutter open. When my eyes open, I see that the room is still decently dark, no morning sun shining through the curtains meaning it must still be the middle of the night. I then see Harry sitting up on the bed, his head in his hands as his hair falls over his face. My heart sinks at the sight in front of me before I bring my hand up to my face, rubbing my eyes slightly before I start to sit up.

I slowly slide my hand around Harry's stomach, getting his attention before I gently press my lips to his shoulder, pressing a small kiss there. "What's wrong?" I whisper as I turn my head towards him, only seeing the side of his face.

I see him swallow hard before he runs his fingers through his hair, shaking his head side to side at me as he keeps his gaze locked on the bed. "Nothing. I'm fine" he blurts out.

I let out a small sigh as I tug on my lower lip. "Look at me" I drag out before I put my index finger underneath his chin, turning his head towards me. When his eyes lock with mine, I notice they're very red and swollen like he's been crying for awhile now. I feel a sharp pang shoot through my chest at the sight. "Talk to me. Please" I beg him quietly.

He gazes at me in silence for a few moments before he slowly nods his head. He then scoots back to where I'm sitting, resting his back against the headboard. He sticks his tongue out slightly, wetting his lips as he looks down at his hands in his lap. "I couldn't sleep. I tried but I just couldn't" he begins, letting out a long exhale. "Everything that happened yesterday Leah scared the shit out of me. Truthfully, I'm too scared to go to sleep" he confesses as he glances over at me.

I feel my chest cave in at his confession as I bite down on my lower lip in attempt to keep myself from crying. "I hate the fact that I wasn't there for you. I hate that I couldn't save you from him. And I'm scared that I'll let you down again when you need me most" he breathes.

"But Harry it wasn't your fault-"

"But it is" he quickly interrupts me as he looks towards me, connecting his intense gaze with mine. "At the end of the day I wasn't there for you, which makes it my fault"

I slowly shake my head at him, looking away from him briefly. "No. You're wrong" I respond, my tone a bit sharper than I intended.

"You've said it yourself Leah. You said that you hated that I wasn't there for you yesterday when it happened" he sighs.

"Yes I did Harry, but I don't blame you because it isn't your fault. It's just like saying it's my fault because I didn't go to the store with you. It's ridiculous. It isn't your fault, neither is it mine. It's my fathers for being a scum" I raise my voice slightly. Harry looks over at me, a expression on his face that I can't quite understand. Maybe doubt? "Listen to me. It was absolutely not your fault. I'm not mad or upset at you for not being there. I just wish it didn't happen" I add, my tone much softer than before.

He gazes at me for a few moments before he slowly nods his head, disconnecting his gaze from mine to look back down at his hands. "I just-" he pauses, trying to pull himself together as his face scrunches slightly. "I hate myself for not being there when you needed me. Hearing you cry my name over the voicemail killed me, and I'll never be able to unhear the pain in your voice when you said it" he admits, his voice beginning to shake.

I see him quickly reach up to his face, wiping the tear that's now fallen onto his cheek. "And seeing all the cuts and bruises on your face destroys me. It just reminds me that I couldn't stop him" he mumbles.

I suck in a sharp breath through my nose as I feel tears being to well up in my eyes, making me look up to the ceiling, trying to blink away the tears for a moment. I then look back at him, softly sliding my hand on his cheek, making him look over at me. I stare deeply into his sad eyes, brushing the hair out of his face before I put my hand back on his cheek. "The marks on my face will soon go away. It's temporary. I'll be fine" I try to reassure him.