[Vol. 1] Chapter 2

We were outside of the room, waiting. The ladies had finished their dinner and I waited for the first wife to permit me for a meal. My eyelids felt heavy as dizziness crawled over my body. I felt heavy. I wanted to fell on my mattress at least for a wink as from yesterday, I was unable to sleep and it was hard to move with a growling stomach.

"Ow!"

We heard father yelping from the room then he cried out. The ladies were restless as we could hear some noise as if his bones were cracking.

"Is-is he going to be okay?" The third lady whispered-asked.

The first lady shook her head as her hands knotted against her light pink kimono. They both were worried and I wondered what the man was doing. Was he wrestling with him?

Father howled loudly, startling all of us as we all looked at each other and the third wife went near the door. She resisted the urge to open it and walked back and forth near the door.

"Arghh!"

It was overbearing to hear him in so much pain that my heart started to jump in various directions. The third lady's knuckles turned white as she held the sliding door with a tight grip and was about to open it, but the door was opened before she could and there stood our guest with a cold face.

That was the time when my eyes landed on the tall person in a very ordinary dark Kimono. It was plain and simple. He stood with his head high and his sharp eyes fell on me. Black. Dark. Mysterious. Those were the words that came in my mind as our eyes met for the first time.

His long black hair stayed on his shoulders like silk strands. Shiny and silky. His face was a work of art as if he was a prince of some dreamland that a girl could wish for. I had never seen a physician that young. He was clearly a lot younger than father. Maybe he was in his late twenties.

The traditional dress-unlike nowadays, everyone could wear modern clothing-yet he wore it with pride that the material felt expensive and sophisticated. I felt my long skirt and blouse had lost to it. The contemporary purpose it served was nothing but how he carried himself in traditional clothing. I used to wear kimono but after the third lady came, I started wearing modern outfits and it was also easy to move in those.

"I need hot water. Prepare it immediately," he said as I nodded frantically.

I dashed towards the kitchen and started preparing hot water in a large pot. Why did he need water? For freshening up? But he freshened up a while ago. What was he doing to father? Could he really cure him?

Various questions formed in my head as I poured the water into a barrel and suddenly, I felt dizzy. My feet felt weak.

I took deep breaths as I clasped my hands on my forehead. It started to throb again.

"Bianca! Are you slacking off again?" The third lady shouted behind me, startling me in the process. Her face fumed with anger and disgust. I had always known she wanted me out of the vicinity but could not due to my father. My father might have turned a blind eye on me but as I was his daughter, he still had responsibility.

"I-I am coming with the barrel." My voice, as usual, was low and submissive, "It-it's just too h-heavy."

"Heavy?" She scoffed and added, "You are just as heavy for this household. Aren't we carrying you?"

My breath broke as I clenched my jaw. A few droplets of tears had already escaped from my eyes. I knew I was a burden for them but she never stopped to remind me of that. No matter how much I did for the house, for them, they had always treated me as garbage as if I wasn't a family. Just an outsider or a maid.