[Vol 1] Chapter 26

I went to the kitchen to make some healthy and liquid food for the injured men as I heard Arashi engaging with them in various topics. 

While the meal was being prepared I set their breakfast on trays and went toward the hall. Sensing my arrival, Arashi took out the small tables and placed them for each one as I placed the plates on them one by one. I went back to the kitchen to take the other bowls, and taking them, I set their tables. 

I made steamed rice, plum pickles and vegetable salads. For a healthy beverage I poured barley tea as they all took their seats.

As the host of the house, Arashi had to join them but he asked me, "When will you join us?"

"Please, eat. I will join you after making their meals." I said as Arashi nodded.

"Are you expecting more guests?" Mr Wasabi asked.

"No. For my two patients." He said.

"But why are they staying in your house? Shouldn't they be moving back after you treat them?"

"The procedures aren't finished yet. It will take some time." Arashi didn't say anything further and I knew he didn't like to tell people about his patients or their injuries. He prefered absolute privacy when it came to his treatment. 

For two months, I had seen many people come and go but he never uttered anything about them. He said, "Some of them come because Arashi never told anyone about their illnesses to others."

It was true. Nobody would want to disclose those and Arashi respected that. They respected Arashi and gave him whatever he wanted but I had never seen him asking for money unless they were filthy rich. He wouldn't take money from the villagers who were very poor and would take needed ingredients for food from those who can afford to pay him but he took money from only the rich or where he sold his goods. 

I didn't understand his way of trading but I didn't question him since I knew he was very considerate to others. He wouldn't show it on his face but he would tell it by his work.

As they finished eating, I had finished making porridges for the wounded men. I came to the hall and took all the plates and the bowls for cleaning and said to Arashi, "Their meals are ready."

He nodded as he said to the Wasabi family, "Please excuse me. I need to feed them unless they would not recover fast. I will be joining you shortly."

They nodded as Arashi went to the kitchen and taking the small table I had set for him, he went inside his room.

I came back to the kitchen. I cut some fruits for all of them since it was good after having a meal. Besides, I had seen the first lady feeding my father fruits. 

I slowly went to the family as they were arguing over something but as soon as they felt my presence, they halted. "Please have some fruits."

I placed their plates as they gave me a look. 

Mrs Wasabi scoffed. "Who eats food after a meal? Do you want to make us fat?"

"But I heard if you eat fruits after a meal, not only will it help the food to digest faster but also it makes the skin look young." I said what the third lady used to say. She used to eat a lot of fruits for the sake of her beauty. Although I couldn't deny she was beautiful.

The daughters' and their mother's eyes sparked as if they got new tips on their beauty regime as they started to devour the pieces one by one.

"I had always asked you to buy me fruits everyday but you wouldn't listen!" Mrs Wasabi growled at her husband who got a bit pale.