[Vol. 2] Chapter 43

When the bride came, the crowd became quiet. The bride wore a white kosode kimono and uchikake outer-robe matched with a white floss silk headdress to cover her face.

Brother Hachiko and his bride went to the stage made for the couple as they sat on it, facing us. The crowd cheered them as the bride shyly smiled while covering her face and Brother Hachiko only sat there with a small smile lingering on his face.

My eyes moved in the crowd, searching for Arashi but I couldn't find him as Hayami and Chinami came to me.

"Where is brother Arashi?" They asked.

"He went with Prince Takashi," I said as they looked at each other and nodded.

"Did father know that brother Arashi served in the war?" Hayami asked.

"I don't know." I said because father never mentioned this before. Maybe he knew that was why he chose Arashi as my husband? I still wanted to ask Arashi why he married me.

"Anyways, let us watch the rituals. It has been a year, I had almost forgotten the rituals." Chinami said, a bit excited about the wedding.

Hayami complained, "But I still remember. I hated to change into different dresses in just a single day. Why don't they make the grooms do the same?"

Chinami hushed her immediately and scolded her in a low voice, "Shh! Hayami! If anyone hears you, you will be punished for being disrespectful to the deity."

Hayami made a face and looked at the bride. "She has some really expensive uchikake." She remarked on the bride's outer robe with a floral pattern. I followed her robe and certainly it was beautiful. The Amane clan must be very wealthy.

The wedding rituals began with them exchanging their sacred items. While the bride gave Katsuobushi(dried bonito). It was wrapped in a beautiful cloth and I asked in a low voice, "Why did she give him that?"

I had never been to a wedding ceremony because my sisters' wedding happened in their husbands' abode. Both the Dateko clan and Mr Bushida's clan wanted the wedding in their domain.

So the first lady never took me with them saying I would be a bad omen. Chinami said, "The preserved foods such as Katsuobushi symbolizes long lasting relationships. I had given my husband a fan though, for happiness."

I nodded as the wedding seemed fascinating. Then my mind reminded me that I had never given Arashi anything, had I? A strange feeling stirred in my belly as I kept watching the couple with my curious filled gaze.

Brother Hachiko gave a linen thread as Cinami said, "That is Tomoshiraga. That signifies strong ties in the marriage."

I nodded and saw they gave gifts, flowers and letters to their parents as well. While Chinami kept telling each of their meanings, I felt my belly tightening. All the things they did had some deep and sacred meanings and somehow I felt restless yet I didn't know why.

Then two cups came to their way as their families stood behind them, surrounding them. It seemed very sacred as all of their eyes stayed on them with serene yet proud expressions when they drank the liquid from the cups. Was it sake?

"Wh—what are they doing?" I asked again in a whisper.

"They are taking vows." Hayami said. "Don't ask me what the vows are. I don't even know that. I just drank it."

"Hayami! These are sacred rituals. Don't talk like that!" Chinami whisper-scolded her and said, "They will sip three times the sacred sake from three different bowls exchanging vows."

Chinami added with a dreamy smile as she clasped her hands on her chest, "When we were having the sake, we felt something binding us together. It was very magical."