[Vol. 3] Chapter 67

I was going to the emperor's chamber the next day when I heard some commotion outside of the emperor's chamber. As I reached there, I saw a fairly tall man with silk smooth long black hair, donned in pants and vests which had a logo of Wansai, was shouting at the guards.

As I reached I heard him saying in an angry voice, "Who have ordered you to guard the door?"

The guards were assigned by Arashi and he had forbidden anyone to enter other than Arashi, the empress, Rei and me.

Even the maids of the emperor weren't allowed. 

"I apologize for the interruption." I said as I bowed. He had shoulder armor and from his look I could get he was a superior person. He looked in his later forties but his body looked strong and daunting as if he could fight five-six persons if they attacked him.

I asked, "If I may ask, who could be the gentleman, my Lord?"

He looked at me, veins popping out of his forehead as he growled, "And why would I answer a lowly maid?"

My head was bowed but at this point, I straightened my back and looked into his eyes which agitated him. Because maids don't look into the eyes. 

"I am not a maid." I said, "And I was asking because I have no idea who the gentleman is. If my Lord  wishes me to address in a non-formal way, I can certainly grant that wish." I added at the last, putting pressure on my words, "My Lord."

A gap formed in his mouth as he eyed me. "And who are you?"

I knew it was rude to introduce yourself if you are a lady so I looked at the guards behind him. One of them came forward as he said, "Your Highness, she is the wife of Prince Rian of Wansai, Princess Bianka."

My cheeks grew red as nobody had addressed me as a princess yet. But Arashi's men addressed me as Princess.

The man before me looked like he was  hit by a brick as he asked, "Prince Arashi is here?"

The guard answered, "Yes, your Highness. And he is the one who forbade anyone to enter the emperor's chamber."

He looked at me then to the guards and as if he didn't like the news as he nodded and left immediately. 

I found it very rude as he didn't felt the need to tell me who he was and instead he addressed me as a maid!

Well, if I didn't get qualified in the empress's tasks, I would certainly acquire a post in their maid's field. 

I asked the guard, Han, "Who was he?"

"He is the crown prince and Prince Rian's uncle, Prince Shiroichi." He informed me, "He is the one person our Prince wouldn't want to let enter the emperor's chamber."

I raised a brow, "Why so?"

"I'm afraid, we can't disclose anything until we get orders from our Prince." He said, "But be sure not to get close to the crown prince, Princess Bianka."

I nodded at his warning. By now, I knew each of Arashi's men's names and they usually talked to me when there wasn't anyone in the hearing range. Arashi had never restrained them in rules much as he often talked with his men. 

Han and Jian, who were guarding the doors of the emperor's chamber, were really proficient in their field. The four guards were also trained in poisons as they could smell if there were any kind of dangerous medicines contained in the food which had been made for the emperor. They checked each time before the food was given to me. 

They made a way as I entered and started to clean the room. I had almost cleaned everything but I couldn't find anything which could raise the suspicion. Whoever made the poison for the emperor must be great and very intelligent.