[Vol. 4] Chapter 88

The entrance of the cave was lit with the sunrays but as far as my eyes went, the inside of it was dark. So, the priest had given me a torch which was already lit with fire.

He said, "Princess Bianka, make sure you find the box when you reach the stone statue of the goddess. You will have to take the whole box with you."

I nodded.

"Also, if something happened, there is no way to let us know so, if you don't come out before the sun goes down, my people will come find you." He said, "But that would be considered as a failure even if you come with the box."

I nodded. "I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the instruction."

So, I had limited time and deadly traps.

They all stood just before the entrance as I turned around. I took a last glance at Arashi and found that he was worried as well. His posture was stiff and he was looking at me like, he wanted to stop this.

I smiled at him as he nodded. I knew from his eyes that he told me to be safe. And I walked inside.

The more I walked inside, the more the darkness surrounded me. Soon the light that was coming from the entrance had vanished and now I was alone in that valley of darkness with only the torch and the traps. The air felt thin when I had successfully entered further from the entrance.

I looked behind but there was no sign of the entrance anymore. I felt a sudden chill on my skin from the fear.

I looked upward and searched for some sharp edge rocks. My torch's light couldn't go further so to see the inside of the cave, I closed my eyes and kept looking at the darkness while I held the torch away from my eyes.

'To see the darkness, you have to face the darkness.' that was what Arashi told me but as I wasn't a trained person like he was or his men were, so, he gave me a trick.

I put the torch down on the floor and took out the ropes to tie my sleeves up and also tied the kimono up to my waist. I was already wearing a pair of tight trousers inside which he had given me after Rei left. I took out the eye patch from its pockets and binded it on my left eye. He had instructed me of the traps I would be facing. He said, each path had a different sets of traps.

I waited there while keeping my eyes closed for a while and finally looked up. The sharp edges of the rocks were now prominent a few yards away. It glinted in the darkness to kill some of its prey.

I went to collect some solid rocks and threw toward the path ahead, with a great noise, some of it fell down. My breathing fastened as I imagined myself being walking there and getting killed.

But as he had instructed me to keep my breathing steady, I took long breathes and calmed myself. Sweat formed on my forehead and on my palms but I reminded myself that Arashi had given me all sorts of tricks.

I nodded to myself as the danger was about to begin.

I took the torch and went forward, making sure to step on the stones that fell on the path since other steps would activate some other kinds traps.

Slowly and steadily I went ahead. The silence grew more as I could hear my own breathing.

As I kept walking, I found three lanes and I knew one of them was a dead end with a stony boulder in it. It would activate once I take the path and there was no coming out or evade the giant boulder.

He had instructed me to look for signs.

I went to each entrance of the lanes and looked at the ground. I saw a bunch of rats. I squeaked and jumped back as they squeaked with me and immediately scattered away.