[Vol 2] Chapter 37

During our dinner, the men were sitting as the small table laid in front of them. 

I saw my sister's husband, Mr.Bushida was present there too and he was exaggerating about his position. He kept saying he got a promotion in the military. He was already well known for his family as he was going to take the lead of his family.

The first lady, the third lady, my sister and I were serving while the men chatted among themselves. 

"When will big sister come?" Hayami, my middle sister asked while pouring barley tea into her husband's pot.

"Probably, by tomorrow." The first lady said. She and the third lady, both sat on both sides of father. The women weren't allowed until the men finished their meals so we served.

"I heard Mr Dateko had promoted to be a samurai." Mr Bushida remarked as he sipped on the tea.

My father nodded with a smile playing on his face. "He certainly has been promoted, thus he couldn't able to join us soon."

"I could see why he couldn't. Being a samurai seems like a lot of work. I will become our family head soon yet I am already showered with a lot of work." Mr Bushida said and his eyes moved toward Arashi. He whispered, "But it seems not a lot of us have that privilege."

My palms clenched as I was sitting beside Arashi while he was eating at a slow pace. Hayami's lips curled up in a smirk, careful not to be seen by father as she gave me an eye.

My brows furrowed as they clearly were targeting Arashi. But father couldn't hear Mr Bushida's last sentences as he whispered in a low voice enough for us to hear.

Arashi must have sensed my agitated self as his palm reached to me under the table and placed it on my hands, giving a slight squish. I looked at him as he shook his head. 

I remained quiet as I wanted to say something but Arashi was right. I shouldn't have to say anything.

While I was glad that father didn't treat Arashi based on his status, his other son in laws might not do the same. Did he want to show Arashi that they were higher ups? What was the gain?

I felt really horrible and disgusted at the same time. I would never let Arashi come here for any insults. Arashi had treated many and saved lives. Wasn't that a good profession as well?

But the whole time Arashi was silent. He only talked when my father would talk or some other topics regarding history and development came up. A few times Arashi was forced to join in their political matters. Though all this time, Arashi didn't give his opinion. Was he feeling insulted?

My belly tumbled in guilt. If only we stayed at the inn...

"I know it must be a really selfish request from my side, but since we all have some time left, why don't we play shogi?" My father offered as he really loved playing shogi. Often his companions came to play shogi with him too. They even formed a small group of old men where they would play shogi all day. It was almost as if a competition was being held in the house. 

Since the marriage ceremony would take time to arrive, it was a good suggestion. But I had never seen Arashi playing Shogi before. What if he couldn't? 

I looked at Arashi and saw his eyes glinted as a small smile played in his lips. "Of course, that would be an honor to play against a worthy opponent." Arashi said, nodding.

At that my father felt excited as his smile was replaced with a grin. "Then I shall call my other companions tomorrow." 

Mr Bushida didn't move a muscle as he blinked at both of them with a frown.