[Vol. 2] Chapter 52

I held my gasp that was about to leave from my mouth. The men stood as a protective barrier around us. Some even stood beside Arashi but everyone's eyes were on the Yamaguchi clan members but my eyes moved back and forth to Arashi and to the clan members. My mind strangely wasn't coping with the situation.

And it seemed all the clan members' jaws dropped on the ground together as they looked at Arashi with big gaps in their mouths and they weren't the only ones. I was included as well.

The first question that came to me was...

"W-who are you?" Hayato asked the question which I wanted to know the answer to as well.

"Who knows?" Arashi answered and I shot my eyes at him from behind although he wasn't aware.

The men didn't appear as samurais at all yet they seemed to be following his orders. Who was he? Why would they follow him if he wasn't someone with a good status? Clearly they wouldn't follow a normal physician, would they?

"Hayato..." A man beside Hayato said with a pair of wide eyes, "These soldiers seem familiar."

It seemed like they had a hunch who they were but Hayato clearly didn't know as he asked, "Who are they?"

"Look at their clothes! The emblems they have..."

Hayato as well as I looked at the men's emblems which were carved on the sleeves of their left arms. It was written '黒'(Kuro).

What did it mean? What did it have to do with 'black'?

But it seemed Hayato got the clue and now his eyes bulged out from their sockets. He stammered, "Bu-but the Kuro soldiers belong to-"

Color drained from all the members of the Yamaguchi clan as Hayato asked, "They belong to-"

"Me." Arashi said, holding his chin high in the air as the ground beneath their feet perished.

"B-but, y-you are..." Hayato looked like he was going to faint as realization hit him although I still didn't get it. I had never heard of Kuro soldiers... Was Arashi a leader of an illegal organization? My heart sank. No! He was a good man and my heart wouldn't believe that yet my mind was telling me otherwise.

"Now that we know, all of the things you have been doing are not under your emperor's or your prince's commands, it is time you all will be sustained from your positions and the Yamaguchi clan will face the punishment," the man beside Arashi said in a deep voice.

At that Hayato and his companions' faces turned pale and they immediately bowed down on the ground. "Please, spare us, Prince Rian. We didn't know it was you."

I blinked. Prince Rian?

"So if it wasn't me, you'd do the same..." Arashi said and my mind wasn't following any of their conversation.

"No, no! Your highness, we would never do this again. Please spare us."

"That would be decided by the emperor, not me." Arashi said and ordered his men, "Take them to the father emperor."

"But taking Godoyama is the best option if we ever face our enemies again." Hayato said.

"Godoyama is a free village and they never wanted to be under any of the kingdoms."

"But we can provide them with everything..."

"And turn their village into a battle ground?" Arashi asked as Hayato didn't say a word further. He should know that all three kingdoms will fight if any of them tries to take the village along with the mountains.

Arashi said, "Leave them as they are. The peace treaty for the village has been formed and I don't want anyone to fight over the mountains."

The men immediately captured all of them and dragged them away as they howled in fear and cried to spare them.