[Vol. 3] Chapter 73

"Why wouldn't you want them to know?" I asked the emperor as I was feeding him. He hadn't been saying much but only was giving me cold treatment. I had been asking him and trying to make him speak but he was just stubborn so I stopped being formal with him. 

Believing if he got angry and start speaking or scolding. But he didn't seem to mind even though I was speaking like I knew him for a long time. 

He seemed tired but the blue-ness of his body was almost nonexistent. Arashi might get a hunch if this keeps going. And I couldn't keep things away from him. I felt guilty. 

As I released a sigh, I took the bowl to the table and the flute I had been practicing with Rei dropped on the ground. I had it secured in my obi so I could practice it once I was inside my room as well.

I picked it up and the emperor saw the instrument in my hands. 

He demanded, "Play a song for me."

"Err... But I have only started to practice it a day before." I answered.

"Then show me what you have leant in a day."

I was nervous and embarrassed as I was bad at every instrument. Rei tried koto, shamisen, biwa and all those instruments with me but I was just bad at this. I believed it wasn't really my thing. The melody wouldn't reach me or I was just not made for it. But I had to learn at least one of the instruments. So, now I was trying shakuhachi, a traditional Japanese flute. 

I held the flute and blew air. It didn't sound at all no matter how much I blew air in it. And The next thing I knew I was exhausted due to lack of air in my system. 

"You are holding it the wrong way... Hold it vertically and press your fingers on those holes." He instructed and as I blew air, it made a sound and my eyes sparkled. 

I looked at him with wide eyes as a smile played on my lips. 

He closed his eyes and said, "Try to recognize each sound first."

As I kept blowing air and pressed my fingers on each holes, it made different sounds each time. I was fondling it as I got used to it at some point. And it seemed the emperor didn't mind at all. He kept his eyes closed and I heard the door opening behind me. 

I was startled and saw it was Arashi and the empress entering the chamber. Before I could hide the flute away, both of them saw me playing it while the emperor was still laying down. 

"Goodness!" The empress shouted. "How dare you play that while the emperor is still resting!" 

"It is alright, he can't hear it anyway." Arashi said. 

"It doesn't matter. She should at least respect him while he is in that condition!" 

I looked at the emperor's motionless body. Was he still going to pretend that he didn't know it? He was the one who asked me to play it!

"Grandma, don't always be so hard on her. She is trying her best!" Arashi argued.

"And you both are spoiling her too much!" She hissed.

While they both argued my eyes only went back and forth with them. They weren't going to stop and it certainly might make the emperor irritated. He might wake up and scold them now...

I looked at him but he lay there still motionless. I glared at him.

What was wrong with him!

I said, "Err... Please don't argue here as it might make the emperor uneasy?"

Both of them shot their head at me and Arashi composed himself. Coughing he said, "Erm... Yes. My apology."

He came near the emperor and said, "I need to check him now."

I nodded as the empress went around the other side of the bed and sat beside the emperor. Her face softened and I knew the old lady was waiting for her husband to wake up. But the emperor was still unmoved by her. Why?

Arashi brought out his equipment and started to inspect and then he scratched his head. "I don't get it." He mumbled.

My heart thumped. Did he find out that he was pretending?!

He would be offended at me! And I didn't want him to get offended.

"What is it?" The empress asked.

"He should be waking by now." He said, "The toxic elements have been removed and I have changed the medicines already. His body should be weak but he still can open his eyes or move his body."

My hands and feet went cold. I knew Arashi was great at observing people and he certainly was excellent at making medicines. He knew his medicines had worked perfectly. I had even seen them working on people quite well. 

I think it wouldn't take him a while to guess what was going on.

How could he wake up a person who didn't want to be awakened? 

"I think I should change the medicines now..." He muttered as his worried eyes fell on his grandfather and my heart clenched. 

That old geezer! He was making everyone worried!

"Err... How about we see it if—if it works or not after watching over him for a few days?" I asked, careful that he didn't get a hint that I was hiding things from him. I knew Arashi could read people like an open book especially, me. If I lied, he would know instantly.

He looked at me and I gulped. 

He nodded. "Alright. Let's see... If the medicines don't work in the next three days, I will change it." 

I nodded curtly as the empress gave me a suspicious stare. 

"Now, grandma. You should go take a rest. I need to teach Bianka about a new herb water." He said and the old woman stood up in a grumpy manner.

"Hmph! I think I said you both shouldn't see each other now!" She muttered angrily and Arashi sighed.

"If I don't teach her then how will grandfather wake up?" He asked and the empress just glared at me and left.

As soon as she left, he turned around and his eyes changed to a pair of mischievous eyes. He gave a tight lipped smile and I stepped back. No! The emperor was wide awake!

He came near me with two long strides as I stepped back instinctively to avoid getting near him. 

"Where do you think you are running away now after making that bold declaration?" He asked in a husky voice as he caught up with me and trapped me between the table and himself. My blood pumped to my ears and my heart was beating on my mouth.

The old man was listening!!! 

"I...um... We should not... He is here..." I stammered as he cupped my chin and tilted my face up. My eyes widened. No! Not here! Not in front of his grandfather!

I placed my hands on his mouth as he was about to lean closer. I said huffing, "Arashi... The emperor is here! We should not!"

"He can't hear..." He said.

Oh, he didn't know he could hear and see us very well. 

"It doesn't matter! He is here!" I said almost breathlessly. 

"So, now you want to back away after saying that no matter what you will snatch me away from everyone...?" He was saying it loud enough for the emperor to listen as my face heated. I was certain that the emperor was going to give me a death sentence after hearing it because it sounded like I was going to kidnap his grandson!

"I—I..." I was finding some excuses but it was hard when Arashi was this close. My mind became numb and I got flustered. 

He smirked as I couldn't say a word and my face turned red. 

He leaned forward as I lowered my face but he whispered around my ear, his voice was audible for only me, "Let's see how bold you can be tonight..."

Then he left me breathless and speechless.

What did he mean by tonight...!