[Vol. 3] Chapter 74

As soon as Arashi left, I heard a cough from the emperor and I knew he did it to get my attention. My face heated. He just witnessed a shameless thing his grandson and I did. 

I wanted to dig the ground and hide myself. 

"Young generation these days..." He muttered and I glared at him. 

"Then you should have at least sat up and said something to your grandson..." I muttered angrily. 

It was Arashi who was doing that shameless move on me. But he was my husband and more than that he didn't know his grandfather was conscious. If he had any inkling of that he would never do that since he was more reserved. 

"Careful young lady, I am an emperor. You can get annihilated if your behavior is like this." He said but his voice didn't sound threatening at all.

"And who would tell them the news of my behavior?" I smirked, "You certainly don't think I will do that."

I heard him doing a 'hmph'.

"It seems Rian needs to be careful of this lady or is it him that you are flying this high?" He asked.

I smiled. It was him. He was the reason my reserved and low esteemed self was gone. He broke those long walls which I had made for myself. He had made me who I am today and I wasn't regretting a thing. 

"So... Things have gotten this far..." He said, his voice was still hoarse. 

"Err... What do you mean?"

"So the empress doesn't want you to marry him..." 

"I am doing my training to get her approval but I am already married to him..." I said as I started to make his meal. 

"Where did you meet him?" He asked.

"At my father's abode." 

"How did you get married?" 

"He came to treat my father but my father set it up without me knowing it." I said. 

"He agreed?" 

"I don't know... But he took me with him so I think he agreed..."

"So, you aren't married...yet."

"I lived with him for five months. How am I not married?"

"So you are from Kosaki?" He said and my breath caught in my throat. How'd he guess!

"Err... What?" 

"Only the Kosakis have this kind of marriage, especially the common people." He said, his eyes still closed, "Wansai and Yokoto's marriage rituals are different. We cloak our woman in front of our God. Yokotos take vows and do ring exchanges in front of their Gods. So, with that only Kosaki remains."

He looked at me. "Tell me, are you from Kosaki?"

My breathing had increased in pace as Arashi told me never to tell anyone if I was from Kosaki or not. The Wansais didn't like them and if they found out I was going to marry their prince, they would try to assassinate me or both of us.

"I... What? It is time for your meal..." I avoided the question and sat beside him. 

"So, you are from Kosaki. Aren't you?"

"So what if I am from Kosaki? Would you try to assassinate me?" I asked but I didn't feel angry. There was a gloomy atmosphere around the emperor as if he was hurt or maybe he was tired of everything all together. I knew he wasn't going to harm me. Not because he was bedridden but he didn't feel like an evil emperor. 

Both the emperor and the empress were strict and their beliefs may differ but they never gave off a bad vibe. 

"I wouldn't do such a thing. I am not fond of killing the lover of my grandson." He sighed, "When I know he will be broken again..."