[Vol. 3] Chapter 53

"Yes, I am the Prince of Wansai." 

As the words left from his mouth, I felt as if my world was turned upside down.

My eyes were almost pleading with him to tell me that it was all a lie. But he didn't move his eyes as he was looking at me. His eyes were darkened and his strong, determined face said this wasn't a lie. 

It was all real...

He was Arashi, Prince Rian of Wansai. The Prince, the whole Kosaki despised, my father despised and even I despised because he took my cousin brother from me. My brother was the only companion I had.

My mind reminded me of Touma and tears ran down on my cheeks. The memories of my brother and I playing, or him helping me with everything came back. 

He would encourage me to be strong when I heard the harsh words of the first lady of the house. Everything came back to me as I recalled the day when news came that Touma and his father were dead. 

We couldn't even get their bodies because the Wansai Prince didn't release their captives nor did he let us have our dear one's dead bodies. This is why my father hated him. 

He was the cruel prince we all had heard. He took all the Kosaki, killed innocents and left the nation to cope with all the tragedies. 

And I felt my breath hitch in my throat. My legs became weak and I couldn't think clearly. 

"We have to go now." Arashi said, his voice hard.

I nodded looking away from his eyes and biting my lips hard so the sniffle won't leave from my mouth. 

He led us back to our carriage and the carriage started to run. But we stayed quiet. The tension between us had grown so much that I felt suffocated.

I tried to think about everything that was happening at the moment but my mind was too occupied with the thoughts of the cruel prince I had heard of.

Was he really cruel? My inner voice asked.

I recalled how Arashi had been so gentle to me. He had never once done anything to disrespect me nor did he do anything that would define him as a cruel person.

I remembered him saying 'Not all the rumors were true from the war'. Did it have anything to do with his rumors?

I asked in a low voice, "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Arashi's shoulders became stiff and I could sense the growing tension sipping out of him. 

"If I had told you or your family, do you think they would stop believing all those rumors about me?" He asked back and I clenched my palms against my yukata.

He was right. My father or others would try to kill him instantly. What about me?

What would I have done? I asked myself.

It was true I was hurt but did I really hate him?

I looked at him slowly and saw he wasn't looking at me. His face was blank but I could feel the sadness in his eyes. The spark in them was missing and I felt helpless. The bile in my throat grew and it was hard to breathe.

My heart clenched painfully. I was hurt but I was more hurt because he looked sad and lonely. He looked like a lot of responsibilities were on his shoulders and he was buried under those heavy weights. 

My heart and mind both were in a battle because he wasn't a person who would kill innocents endlessly for his thirst. My heart refused to believe it. Besides, in a war, no one was innocent. 

They had to kill their enemies whether the enemy was helpless or not. An enemy was an enemy. 

Now, my conscience started to question all the rumors I had heard of the Prince of Wansai.