[Vol. 1] Chapter 12

After our lunch, I went back to my chamber just opposite of Arashi and the moment I laid on the futon, I fell asleep.

Arashi had prepared everything in my room and it was cleaned. I assumed he had spread out the futon while I went to take a bath.

I woke up to a voice and it wasn't Arashi's voice. I sat up immediately and saw it was already evening. The room darkened although the dim light of evening illuminated the room.

I didn't know I was that tired to sleep that much. In my father's house, I had no time to lay flat on the futon as all the house chores were on me thus, whenever I completed a work, another came immediately.

I went to the large drawing room where I heard voices coming and saw it was Mr Hiro. He was chatting with Arashi.

As soon as their eyes fell on me, Mr Hiro said, "I hope you have rested well, Mrs Yuan."

I gave him a small smile and I realized he called me Mrs Yuan. My cheeks got colors as it sounded strange to me. But still I liked how he called.

"Are you feeling good, now?" Arashi asked and I nodded.

"Alright, let's have tea then," he announced and invited Mr Hiro inside. "Mr Hiro, please come inside."

"No, no... I have to go since my son's pain is increasing again."

"Alright. Then I shall give you the ointment and the pain relievers immediately." Arashi went inside to fetch the medicines and I was left with Mr Hiro.

There was a moment of silence as I didn't know what to tell and it seemed Mr Hiro got the cue and he started the conversation.

"How is he treating you?" He asked.

I shied away and said, "He is treating me well."

"Of course, he would. Such a good man he is." He said, "Since the time he came here, our village got blessed with him."

I smiled but then it struck me when he said 'since the time he came'.

"Didn't he use to live here since childhood?"

"Oh no, he came here 3 years ago when our village was struggling with a new kind of illness. He came and treated all of us." He said, recalling the previous incidents from his memory vault and I looked at him with a blank face. If he wasn't from here, then where did he come from?

I looked back at where Arashi went and he still hadn't returned while Mr Hiro kept talking about how Arashi saved their village from every illness and whenever someone was injured or heavily wounded, he would treat everyone with kindness.

"Seems like all of you admire him so much." I said.

"Yes, especially me and my family." He said excitedly, "I got injured while coming back after selling my pots but he treated me."

"I see... Where do you sell your pots?"

"Down to the village," he pointed his hand in the air and said, "There is a big market which opens on Tuesday and Saturday and all the surrounding villages and town's people come there."

He grinned at me and suggested, "Why don't you ask your husband to take you there this Saturday?"

I was taken aback and he must have noticed my redness as his grin broadened, "There will be a small fair as well. I will ask Mr Yuan to take you there."

I nodded shyly and because it was too embarrassing I diverted the conversation. "Mr Hiro, I heard your pots aren't selling like before."

He gave me a sheepish smile and looked down. "Ah well, I guess this month will be the last time I make the pots. I will be looking for work in the fields."

I felt bad and suggested, "Why don't you make ornaments?"

He looked at me as if I had grown a head. "Ornaments? With clay?"

I nodded. "Yes. Your carvings and patterns are very beautiful and you can make some fine carvings as well. Why don't you try making beautiful ornaments for women and children? You can make clay dolls with traditional patterns for decorating houses."

He thought for a moment although I had no idea if they would sell or not but if he tried maybe, just maybe it could work out. He said some townspeople come there as well. Where I had lived, people used many carvings and patterned dolls or hanging items to show off their sophisticated lifestyle. Although they were made with fine clothes and equipment.

Mr Hiro shrugged and said, "I guess, I will try this one last time."

I nodded as I noticed a renowned vigor coming in him.

Arashi came back with the medicines and gave him while he instructed everything accordingly. Mr Hiro nodded and was about to leave when he exclaimed, "Oh! I forgot!"

Then he brought out a large box, wrapped in a fine cloth. He handed it to me as I took it with surprised eyes. He said, "This is a small token from me and my family to the newly wed couple."

He grinned as Arashi asked, "What's in there."

"Dinner for you both. You have been traveling since yesterday so my wife said you both should take a rest for today." He smiled.

"Mr Hiro, you didn't have to trouble yourself." Arashi said but Mr Hiro dashed away immediately knowing so well Arashi didn't take anything from them.

Arashi sighed as the man left and I couldn't stop but chuckle a little.

"He won't change." Arashi remarked.

"Well, at least they considered our situation. Nobody does that nowadays." I said and he nodded.

"Alright, let me light the house otherwise you would start tripping everywhere." He said as he left to light the oil lamps and I asked, "Where shall I put the box?"

"In the kitchen."

I had wandered around the house the time I came here so I knew where it was. I went there and set the box there and I remembered he said to make tea.

I looked out for the pot and poured water but Arashi came inside and said, "Let me do it."

"It is okay." I said, "I used to make tea there as well."

"I know, but it is your first day in my abode so enjoy once in a while." He took the pot from my hands and said, "I have set our chairs on the veranda. Go and wait. I will be right back."

I nodded and went to the large veranda and saw he had put two chairs there. I smiled and sat on it as the wind rushed, making my shoulders relaxed. My eyes took in all the beautiful scenery the nature was offering.

The birds were going back to their nest and the sun had gone down while leaving behind its traits in the sky.

"Here." Arashi's voice startled me as I looked back and saw Arashi had a tray and on it, two tea bowls. I took one as he sat beside me taking the other chair.

I sneaked a glance at him and saw his long hair flapped with the wind and his smooth skin glowed with the hue of evening lights. He was as mesmerizing as before.

----
Edited on 9th April, 2022
(1218 words)