[Vol. 2] Chapter 48

Arashi's POV 

[In third person]

It was almost four in the morning when Arashi Yuan heard a sound. His eyes opened almost immediately and fell on the ceiling above him. His ears perked up to listen to the sound but he didn't hear anything as the darkness dominated the room they had acquired in the capital of Kosaki. 

He tilted his head to his side and saw Bianka was still asleep. Her chest rose up and down in a steady way and it somehow made his inner demons calm down. Her small stature was wrapped in a thin sheet. Her long brown hair was scattered over the pillow and fell on a side. She looked like a baby as Arashi's eyes took in her pale face. 

His hand reached her face and stroked on her cheeks and as if she could feel it was him, she leaned into his warmth. He didn't know what she would think if he had told her everything. Would she hate him? 

Hate was the thing he was so accustomed to that it didn't matter anymore but if it was from her, he didn't know if he would stay strong anymore. He might lose himself to his demons.

He almost wanted to laugh at himself. He never wanted to get married and he did it and now he dragged her with him into his world of darkness where a person like her could break in a blink of an eye. He didn't want to say anything to her and wanted to keep her away from all of it but he knew he had made a mistake. He shouldn't have come here again.

But he couldn't leave her in the village either. 

Her innocence was the first thing which caught him in its grip. He knew she had no knowledge of the outside and cruelty in it. She didn't know how unfair it was and she certainly didn't know everything around her was a lie. And he wanted to refuse the marriage yet he couldn't when her father begged him. Her father didn't mention anything but he had assumed it. 

He thought he would just do his responsibility but what he didn't expect was to get fond of that responsibility. He knew it was a mistake to get attached to her but his heart unwillingly followed it. It didn't listen no matter how much he tried. 

It was a mistake to marry her but he would do everything in his power to protect her. He just hoped his assumptions didn't come true.

He sat almost soundlessly, a habit from his past when he was still under his master. But he felt a tug on his cloth and saw his wife's small palm was holding one side of his cloth. She would always hold something of him as if she was scared he would go away.

A small smile crept on his lips as he slowly let go her hand. Her brows ceased in her sleep and a faint whimper left from her mouth. He would always get amused how she knew that her hand wasn't holding him anymore in her sleep. 

He recalled the first day when he scared her saying about ghosts and murders. She had started to hold his cloth or his hand from that day and she would strangely sleep in peace. 

Arashi's smile disappeared once he recalled he didn't lie about those slaughters and bodies being under the soil of the mountain. A grim expression took over his face as he took a deep breath and let it out.

His eyes went to the mask she had given him. His hand reached it and took the mask. His eyes stayed on it for a while, his eyes narrowing down and his mind amusing at the thought of how Bianka gave him a thing which defined his existence.

She gave it to him without any knowledge. 

He put it down and looked behind him at her. Somehow, he always felt his inner turmoil to subside whenever she was around him. He had started to enjoy her clumsy and flustered self. Her dedication to her work and devotedly following what's inside her heart amused him. She seemed very weak but he knew she was very strong. Maybe even stronger than him. He almost envied her because no matter what she wouldn't falter back.