[Vol. 3] Chapter 55

I looked at him with wide eyes, still trying to understand the situation. 

The man who was the chauffeur now asked, opening the small window in the carriage, "Pardon me, my Prince. But we need to take a rest in the forest for the night. They are tired."

Arashi nodded and the carriage halted. He went down from the carriage and stretched his hands to me. I took his hands and came out of the carriage. 

I saw his men were already on the move and most of them were sitting on the tree logs and they set a bonfire at a distance from the road. 

The whole vicinity was decked with darkness and the only light was the fire they set.

The man named Hiroshi appeared before us and said, "Your sitting arrangement is ready, my Prince."

"Hiroshi... Don't call me that. You know I hate you calling me Prince." Arashi said with an irritated voice in which Hiroshi chuckled. Hiroshi was as tall as Arashi but he had a taut body which was covered in their black attires. Of course, I couldn't see his face since it was still hidden behind a black fox mask.

Then I recalled I had given Arashi an white fox mask. No wonder I felt unusual when he took that mask. It felt like it always belonged to him.

"Eh? But I am supposed to call you a Prince not Arashi in front of anyone." Hiroshi said, catching my attention.

"She knows now. It is okay." Arashi said.

I blinked at the men. So he was calling him Prince because I was there? Then what did they call each other? I was a bit curious at them now as my eyes darted between them.

"Then I shall call you, Arashi dono or maybe, Arashi sama." Hiroshi teased, which made Arashi's brow twitch. 

"You won't change." Arashi said with a defeated voice and the men who were near us started to laugh, including Hiroshi.

It was very fascinating to watch that they were very open around their Prince and commander. I had always seen soldiers were expected to be serious and reserved around their superiors but it was different in their case.

Arashi took my hand and led me toward the fire, where a large log was and we sat there. Hiroshi came and gave Arashi a plate made of leaves and various fruits were placed on it as he said, "Arashi, eat up with Princess Bianka while I send my men to scout the forest."

My cheeks grew red because it sounded unusual. 

Arashi nodded as we ate but my mind still had so many questions lingering in it. If it still was because of Godoyama then why were we told different causes? I was sure we all knew that Wansai wanted to capture Kosaki, that was why people fought. 

"But how come people were fighting for the reason that Wansai wanted to capture Kosaki?" I asked. "We all knew that Wansai wanted to spread its borders to Kosaki capital."

"Then how come we didn't take it when we finally won it?" Arashi asked back. Now it all made sense. If they really wanted it and won against Kosaki then why didn't they spread their borders. 

My eyes went round. Was it because of...

"Yes, my Lady, it was because we were defending Wansai." Hiroshi said and our heads turned toward him. He was sitting across from us and was having supper. I looked around and some were having their food as well. So, they weren't bound by the rules of eating after their Prince finished eating. 

I opened my mouth and closed again. "Oh! I thought it was because of the economical problems that arose in Kosaki?"

"Do you really think Wansai doesn't have enough wealth to nurture another nation?" Arashi asked, raising an eyebrow.