[Vol. 1] Chapter 20

As Hina and I got out of the tub, I changed the water and cleaned the bathroom because Arashi might be tired and he needed a good hot bath.

I wore the yukata I had taken with me and we got out of the bathroom. My hair was wet and cascaded down to my waist. It would take some time before it dries.

Arashi was leaning against a wooden stand and was talking with Hina's Grandfather while they both were sipping on tea. As his eyes fell on me, he looked at me for a moment then his gaze fell on my wet hair. I realized he had never seen me with my hair loosened on my back. My cheeks felt warm and I averted my eyes toward Hina. Her narrowed down gazes were looking between me and Arashi.

"I have made tea for you both as well. Drink it while it is hot." He said, taking our attention.

I nodded and saw his long hair and clothes were still soaking wet. He didn't have time to change those and he was waiting until we were done. That way he might catch a cold!

"I have prepared hot water for you. Please change your clothes and leave them on the bucket." I said and he nodded.

He took some of his dry clothes along with him and went to the bathhouse. Hina went ahead and sat beside her grandfather, who blissfully sipped on the cup. The vapor rose to his nose and he seemed to be relaxing because of the aroma. I smiled. He was old yet he went behind us to help us. I was a bit worried about his health now.

I went to the kitchen and poured the tea Arashi had made for us. The minty fragrance lingered in my nose and I felt myself relaxing. It must be the herb tea he was speaking of.

I came and gave a cup to Hina as she relaxed as well. I smiled at her and saw her long hair fall on back. They were still wet and water dripped from it.

"Do you need a cloth to dry off your hair?" I asked but she shook her head saying, "No. I have already done it. It would only take some more time."

I nodded and went back to the kitchen. I needed to cook something quickly and while I was at it, I needed to make some dishes which could warm our bellies enough so we don't catch a cold. I didn't want Arashi and the others to get ill.

I sipped on my tea as the warmth spread on my tongue and went down to my throat making my inside feel its warmth.

I started to chop the vegetables and made some flour dow, added some of the ingredients Arashi had mentioned. While food was being prepared I finished drinking my tea. I recalled the dishes I used to make in my house.

I put a large pot on the oven and added water. Rice would be cooked perfectly if we add it while the steam rises. I kept checking the other pots when I heard a voice from behind me.

"Have you started to cook already?" Arashi asked.

I looked behind and nodded. "Did you want to eat something else?" I asked with my eyes widening because I completely forgot I should have asked what to make for our guest.

Panic started to rise as Arashi shook his head. "No. It is perfectly fine. It will make us warm."

I released a sigh.

His eyes again moved toward my hair as my ears got warm. He came near and stretched his hand. He asked as his hand found a long strand of my hair, "Your hair is still wet. Haven't you dried it?"

My breaths hitched as I managed to speak some words. "I-I was changing... Water...hot. You were cold and-I forgot."

He looked at me for a moment as it took time for him to understand what I said. It even took time for me to understand what I said because my heart was hammering against my chest and I was hardly able to hold myself from blushing in front of him.

He let go of my hair and said, "I am going to get a cloth. If you don't dry your hair, you will catch a cold." And he left as I held my chest with my hands.

Finally, I breathed the air I had forgotten to breathe when he took a few strands of my hair in his hands. It felt so foreign and I couldn't understand why my body was acting this way.

I looked up and saw the food was almost done.

I turned off the stoves as Arashi came. He had a towel in his hand and he placed it on my head saying, "Go wipe those water. I will start serving them."

I nodded as I left the kitchen. I recalled I had to clean Hina's clothes because they had soaked into the mud and I went into the bathroom.

After a while, I came back with all the clothes. I went to wash only Hina's and the priest's clothes but I ended up washing all of our clothes.

As I came out, I saw Arashi standing there with a grim face. He seemed a bit angry. His eyes moved to the bucket and his brows knitted. "Did you just wash those now?"

I blinked. "Um... Yes. I had to because Hina's clothes had mud and it dried, it would leave a large strain."

He nodded. "Then why did you wash everything?"

"I- out of habit." I said as I bit my lip. I had to wash everyone's clothes in my father's house so it became a habit.

He raised a brow in surprise. "Have you used to wash clothes too?"

I nodded.

There was a silence that fell on us and he sighed. "Alright. Let's hang them in the hall. They will dry by the morning."

And we went there. Arashi tied some ropes while I placed each one on it. After we were done we went to have our dinner.

Hina and her grandfather had already done their dinner and Arashi had made their bed in a room. They went to sleep because they needed to go back to their house in the morning.

While the hall was empty, we took our plates and bowls and served each other.

"Next time, when you start doing everything, I would like you to ask me for my help." Arashi said as he ate the rice. I knew he meant the clothes I washed all by myself. There were many and it might make me tired. But I was accustomed to the heavy work while starving myself so, I wasn't tired.

"Then y-you have to do that as well." I said and Arashi's head snapped at me. He could have asked for my help but he wouldn't.

Arashi studied my face and chuckled. My wide eyes fell on him as I saw his smile again. I didn't know but each time I saw him smiling, my heart would start to act in unusual ways.

He nodded as he looked at me in my eyes, a gentle smile playing on his lips. "Alright. It seems like I will do that as well from now on."

And my heart thumped again.

------
4th May, 2022
(1243 words)