[Vol. 7] Chapter 168

(Third person's POV - Omniscient)

The emperor's palace wasn't crowded since most of them had went to the holy tree to attend the royal marriage.

The emperor and the empress couldn't attend since it was a rule for the prince's guardians to stay in the palace.

While the emperor was in a good mood, the empress was a bit bitter. She didn't hated the farmer girl but she couldn't accept it either.

In her chamber, Aikawa, Akio's mother wept as she consoled her, "Aikawa, don't cry now. It's not like your daughter doesn't have anyone to marry. We have so many perfect suitors for her in Wansai."

"But mother empress, she loves Arashi so much... She has been heartbroken all these time."

"I know but that grandson of mine doesn't listen at all. He is just like my son!" She fumed but she also didn't want to do something that would make her grandson to get hurt or hate her again.

The last time when she selfishly tried to make his relationship with Yukina to break, he left everything and hated her for that.

All she wanted Rian to have every wealth and happiness but sometimes her selfish resolves make it worse.

The empress knew Rian could get the throne without the help of Akio's Kingdom but Akio was her favourite child after Rei.

Aikawa also had served all these years to her and she wanted to at least do something for them.

However, it wasn't her choice anymore. Because the emperor also had accepted Bianka.

The empress said, "Aikawa, you don't have to worry. Even after Rian marries that girl, he can marry Akio and give her the status. Since Akio's status is greater than Bianka."

Aikawa said, "But he has already announced everywhere that she is the first wife so she is to be called 'Princess Bianka' from now on."

The empress knew Rian favoured Bianka too much. And she was really displeased at it.

Aikawa added, "Prince Rian favours her so he won't let Akio get the title of the queen even if he marries her."

The empress let out a sigh. True. Rian just loved that girl blindly but the empress just knew why he loved her so much.

When she was training under her, she found Bianka rather very timid and clumsy. She lacked the etiquettes and the proper ways of a woman.

The empress used to think why Arashi loved her. She used to get irritated how she wore the same clothes over and over again and the same hairpin. It somehow made her mad that Bianka wasn't respecting her husband's reputation. If she didn't live like she was a princess, people will question that the prince was very poor to maintain his wife.

However, she found that the girl never wished to get any status or power. Not even wealth. There was no yearning for new accessories and dresses. All she wanted to live with Rian. And for that she was willing to undergo the training and the trial.

The empress had no idea that the trial was to kill the princesses. When she learnt, she felt ashamed of it.

And that moment she knew Bianka was the perfect partner for her grandson. She genuinely loved him. She wasn't here for his power or status but she was not from any royalty.

The empress thought there was no way that girl could melt her heart. But she did. Maybe it was too small to recognise but she did.

It was her simplicity and innocence that made the empress think that the farmer girl was very good at heart. No matter how many times she hurt her, she never disrespected the empress. She maybe went against her but she never harmed the emperor or the empress.

Within months, she even won most of the people's hearts especially the people who were close to Rian.

Even Rei and Noya were fond of her.

So, as of now, the empress may not like the marriage between them, she didn't try to stop it. That was why she ended up giving the dagger of the bride to her.

Of course, she didn't want to give it to her with her own hands because Bianka might think she had won over the empress. It was like the empress's ego would be hurt.

But from her heart, she truly blessed Rian and that farmer girl.

She recalled the clumsy side of Bianka and without her knowledge a smile appeared on her face. She truly deserved Rian. Rian used to be clumsy too.

"Err... Mother empress? Why are you smiling?" Aikawa asked as she was a bit confused and the empress felt a little guilty.

She loved Akio same as Rei but she couldn't just snatch away Rian's happiness. He had suffered so much and for Akio, the empress couldn't just sacrifice his happiness.

The only choice she had was to make Rian marry Akio so Akio at least could be happy.

She said, "I was just thinking of how to make him marry Akio..."

"What if we just..." Aikawa hesitated but added, "make her perished or maybe do something that Prince Rian wouldn't look her way?"

The empress's brows drawn near as she said with a strong voice, "Aikawa, please don't say such things. You know I don't want to do something that would hurt an innocent child. I may not like her but I won't intentionally do bad things to her."

Aikawa chuckled nervously as she said, "Of—of course, mother empress. Please forgive me for saying such things. Even I don't want to hurt her. It was just my sadness talking over me."

The empress nodded and said, "Don't worry, let them marry and after that I will propose Rian to marry Akio."

Aikawa nodded and wiped away her tears as said, "I thank you from the bottom of my heart, mother empress. But now I have to go back to my chamber since I am feeling a little tired."

The empress nodded and gave her a gentle smile as Aikawa left the chamber.

After going out, Aikawa didn't go for her room instead, she went behind the palace, toward the old tower which had been abandoned long ago.

As there was low gurads and most of the Wansai guards were busy protecting the walls, she felt it was easy to sneak out.

As she reached the tower, there was a man who was standing there making sure no one saw him.

Aikawa asked, "Did you make the preparation?"

The man nodded. "I have..."

"But Prince Rian's men are everywhere. You won't be able to do that without getting caught."

The man smirked. "He won't suspect me since and besides, I have my men who will be doing this."

Satisfied, Aikawa smiled. "That's good to hear."

She stretched out her hand and gave him something. It was small and had been concealed in a small leather pouch. The man took it and went away as Aikawa sneered, "If the empress has no power to do anything I don't need her."

She smiled evilly and muttered in herself, "I will see how you will be happy, prince Rian. Because I won't let you be happy if you make my daughter suffer."

----
22nd February, 23
1212