[Vol. 4] Chapter 90

'The trial is just an excuse to make the royals think this holy ground decides if the bride is worthy or not. There is just a simple coin with our crest and the priests puts it somewhere around the statue. The ones who they think is perfect they place the coin for them and there will be no traps but if they don't like you or your status, they will simply set traps everywhere and they don't even place the coin there.' that was what Arashi told me.

He also added, 'The reason is, they had power over the throne previously. They could decide on the monarchy and soon they started to get greedy over that but as my grandfather's father took away those powers now they have become only the simple priests who worshipped the goddess. But the trial is the only act that hadn't been abolished and it is time, we should disclose their dirty act before everyone.'

Apparently, he scolded me because I was a fool to believe it was a holy ground and it was easier to get approved.

He told me that not every royals know this since all acts had been carried by the priests. So, only a few like Arashi, his grandfather and maybe Daichi knew about it. And they never disclosed it because sometimes it came handy. Some kings or queens outside of Wansai had always been trying to get to Wansai because of their wealth and to refrain them from marrying, this was the best option. Also, even if they were unharmed but didn't get the coin, they would always say they weren't worthy.

Most of them refused because of the superstition. They thought if someone had malice intention they would die in that cave. The goddess would be angry and would take their lives.

Daichi knew that the priests didn't like me so he suggested this because they would kill me and he wouldn't have to worry about getting his hands dirty.

So, Arashi was right...

I sighed...and leant behind as a few statues lost their balance and they fell, making great noises.

The men froze and so did I.

They looked behind and directed the lights of the torches toward me. The light fell on me as I smiled at them nervously. "Kon'nichiwa?" I said.

They looked at me as if they had seen a ghost as they screamed but then they realised it was me who was supposed to come from ahead not from behind.

"H—how the hell did she came into the chamber!?" The leader growled as he took out his sword.

"Are you sure, you were guarding the door?" One of his underline asked as the leader glared at him.

"We were all here this whole time!"

"I knew it! That bastard's wife has something in her sleeves!" The leader growled as he took a step toward me and I stepped back. My heart beating loudly in my chest as I thought, 'isn't it the right time for the Kuro soldiers' to come save me!?'

I thought that was our plan! Where were they!

Arashi no baka! I will haunt him if I died here for this foolish reason!

They surrounded me and gave me wicked grins as the leader asked, "Any last wishes, Princess?"

I nodded, "C—can you wait for a few more minutes?"

They sneered at me as they held their swords high. "And why would we do that?"

"So, we can come to save our master's wife!" Kairo said as he and his men attacked them from behind.

The swords clanged as I stepped away from them. I didn't want to loose a limb now.

I stayed away but one of them came for me. As I stepped back, my feet lost their balances and I fell. At the same time, he swung the sword which barely missed me as it swung above my head and got stuck in a broken edge of a rock.

My heart was about to fly away as I had never encountered death that closely before. My hands and legs went cold and I almost forgot about the things Arashi had taught me.

With shaky hands, I searched through the trousers I was wearing and finally managing to pull the small dagger out.

The man was struggling to get his sword out of the rock but he saw the dagger in my hand. I didn't know where to thrust the thing as I pushed it toward him randomly however, he caught my hand and laughed, "You think, your little delicate hands has any power to push that little thing in my flesh?"

But at the same time, he let out a cry of pain as my other hand successfully pushed the other dagger in his strong thigh. I said with a shaky voice, "That is why he gave me the second one..."

As he pulled out the dagger from his thigh, he looked at me deadly in my eyes. "I will kill you!"

I started to crawl back but there was no space behind me.

But before he could take a step, Hans's sword cut through him and he fell on the ground. I huffed as I clenched my hands on my chest.

I found two of them were captured while the other two were dead. One of them was the leader whom they had captured and he spat at them, telling bad words about Arashi and about the royals.

Hans looked down and asked the frozen me with worried eyes, "Err... Princess, are you alright?"

I slowly looked at him and I felt like I had no energy in me. I said, "I feel like I have witnessed enough for today that would last me my whole life..."

They gave nervous smiles and said, "Err... Don't worry, our Prince has set the stage ready. It will be over soon."

I nodded.

Hans finally released a sigh and said, "We we destroying the traps on our way down when we found out they had set new traps on the both routes."

The other one nodded, his voice sounded worried, "And we were scared that you may have got into one of those..."

"But thankfully you were safe... otherwise Prince Rian would have killed everyone..." Kairo said with a big grin and then he halted. He looked at me and asked, "But, princess, tell us one thing, how did you manage to come here without facing the traps?"

So they had no idea? Maybe that was why Arashi hadn't mentioned about any shortcut routes.

I pointed over to the secret passage and said, "I had mistakenly pressed the wall on which I was supposed to take rest..."

They looked at the secret passage with wide eyes and then looked at me. "Seems like she certainly is special..."

"Or lucky?" Hans added. It seemed like he was having hard time believing that I was alive.

The plan was they would be coming after they destroy the traps, one by one, and I would go to the chambers and take the box. But if there were any assassins waiting for me, they would be there to protect me.

Although Arashi had doubts that the box would be there...

And he had also given me possible things that might be useful in case something happens or the plan didn't go as planned. I couldn't help but be glad about his foreshadowing.

But it seemed I came here without their help...

Mistakenly, if may add...

"That must mean, she has to be very lucky..." Kairo said and looked at me as if I had become a goddess myself.

Well, at the end of the day, I didn't need Arashi's map to guide me here. It was useless to begin with. They had set up extra traps that the Kuro soldiers weren't aware of. It took them quiet a while to destroy them so they were late to arrive.

But the thing was, this act that we were doing hadn't been ended yet. It had just begun.

----
19th November, 22
1346