[Vol. 2] Chapter 46

We were prepared to go to the capital of Kosaki and I saw my sisters and their husbands were ready as well to return. First lady was shedding tears since she didn't know when her daughters would come again.

Women, once married, were not allowed to come often in their father's house and if they came that would only be if her husband allowed it or came with her. Since both the husbands served in the military, they wouldn't have time to come again.

For the morning meal, the men had seated, gathering in the hall and we all served our husbands. I sat beside Arashi and served him as the men engaged in conversation.

After some time, my father asked Arashi curiously, "You knew Mr. Amane? He even praised you and I am really honored to hear that."

Arashi responded calmly, "Yes, we know each other from the war. I treated him once as well."

My elder sister's husband, Mr Dateko asked, "You were in the war of Wansai and Kosaki? I have never heard of your name."

Come to think of it, when brother Hachiko and the Prince were talking, Mr Dateko wasn't in hearing range. He might haven't heard anything but Mr Bushida was there as he wanted to get into the conversation but couldn't.

Arashi looked at Mr Dateko and said, "Not all of the names are meant to be heard in War. Sometimes a few names are forgotten."

"I heard you saved Prince Takashi as well. He was regarding you as 'brother'." Mr Bushida said, making everyone in the house shocked as all of their gazes fell on Arashi.

Arashi seemed a bit hesitant as he nodded and said, "Yes."

Arashi didn't say much since saying everything about Prince Takashi meant tarnishing his reputation. If words got out that Prince couldn't even fight, they would make fun of him. They wouldn't even consider that Prince that time was very young to be an expert in swordsmanship.

They would just spread bad rumors about him and make fun of him as a failure of a prince.

Mr Bushida seemed like the person who wouldn't think before he talks. Arashi gave him a sharp glare as he was about to say something again but held back.

He immediately changed his conversation and said, "We lost many people, we still don't know their names."

Mr Dateko agreed and said, "Yes, you are right. We have lost many great people who we don't know of. It was a loss after all."

Arashi said, "The greatest loss is what died inside of us, it wasn't only the people we lost."

My father said looking down, "After all, the war is about who stands until the end. Win or lose, both sides had casualties."

Everyone nodded in unison seemingly understanding each other in a different way and father let out a deep sigh. It seemed like they felt each other's pain somehow. They weren't bound by relationship or by blood but bound by the pain of the war they shared. At least now they were getting along well.

I may hadn't been in the war but I had seen the terror of it. The battle arena wasn't the only arena the war was going on, the inside of the country was in great turmoil as well. Every man in the house needed to go even if they weren't a soldier or weren't serving in the military. But later when Wansai took over one side of Kosaki, our emperor ordered every man, minor or old, had to go into the War arena.

I had seen the terror when little children were taken to the war to defend the borders. I had seen mothers crying in the street, screaming and begging not to take their children. I had seen sisters hiding their brothers so they wouldn't find them. They had taken their husbands, fathers and now they came to take their childrens and brothers. They didn't even know how to hold a sword and my father was against it as well.