[Vol. 7] Chapter 161

(Third person's POV - Omniscient)

Winds rushed through the leaves and swayed the golden hair of Duke Ginjiro Shimadzu. The warmth in the wind told Spring has come as the cherry trees had bloomed in their full blossom. He was at the lake in the Wansai emperor's garden.

It was a beautiful garden with various flowers and trees. Especially the cherry trees adorning the lake in their glory.

He had heard about the garden of Shinkyo, the Prince of Wansai's land. But to go there he needed his permission. Not everyone can enter.

Ginjiro had just arrived for the meeting which would be starting at the noon. Many Lords and important officials have come to attend. The emperor would be present as well.

He had done his task on bringing important documents and information for Prince Rian. He knew when Prince Rian set his mind in doing something, he would do it by hooks or crooks.

He was just glad he got to work alongside with Prince Rian. After all, he had helped him gaining Komaki against the all hurdles.

It was because of the prince's great mind which made it possible for him to get the Duke title and Ginjiro would make sure he performed well enough to protect the title and the people of Komaki.

As he was inside of his thoughts, he felt someone caught his leg. There was a gurgling noise as he looked down.

It was a little boy. Too little that he couldn't even stand properly and his clothes were dirty.

Ginjiro looked the way where he came from and saw the marks of four steps on the soil. He must have crawled on the ground.

The little boy looked up and smiled making a noise. He had only four teeth coming out of his gums. He looked adorable as Ginjiro bent down and took him in his arms.

He was wearing a small t-shirt and pants. His black hair was combed and he had gold ornaments around his little wrists and neck. He must be some noble's son.

Ginjiro looked around but no one was in his sight. He asked, "Where did you come from, little Lord? Or should I call you a Prince?"

The palace was filled with guests since a lot of people had come to attend Prince Rian's wedding. He wasn't sure who's child he was.

The little boy's eyes sparkled at the Duke's golden hair as he stretched his hands and caught a thick strand of hair. He pulled it as Ginjiro said, "That hurt, little Lord."

But the boy wasn't listening to him as he started to play with his hair. He started to laugh as his hair felt tickling to his hands and Ginjiro couldn't help but chuckle at his adorable companion.

Then Duke Ginjiro's broach glinted by the ray of the sun as the boy's attention was caught by it. He started to nibble on it and saliva dripped from his mouth on Ginjiro's coat.

The boy was too focused on the shiny thing as he kept fiddling it and bit on it as the Duke chuckled, "So, little Lord likes sparkling things?"

"Boo-ahh! Nyah..." He started to talk in his own language as Ginjiro said, "I take it as a yes."

The boy smiled while heartedly.

The Duke smiled at his innocence and took off his broach. He gave it to him as the little boy caught it in its small grips. And again, he started to have a taste of it.

The Duke laughed. "You shouldn't eat a metal, little Lord."

But it seemed he wasn't listening to him.

"Noya! Noya!" Ginjiro heard someone calling as he turned around and saw a lady was searching for someone. Worry latched on her beautiful face and she was looking at the ground or behind the bushes.

She must be finding this boy... Duke thought and went over there.

He said to the boy, "Is your name, Noya?"

The boy immediately looked at him and smiled but at the same time he caught his golden strands.

"So, you like sparkling things and to pull hair..." He said as he reached the lady.

She looked around and their eyes met.

Lord Ginjiro immediately knew who she was.

She was Princess Rei. Prince Rian's sister. Although their personalities were different they resembled each other greatly.

Her worry filled eyes fell on Noya and immediately a relief washed over her as she came near.

She said, "I apologise for my son's behavi— Noya! Leave his hair!"

Noya looked at his mother and turned around his head, feigning that he didn't heard her.

"This little...!" Rei muttered and said to Ginjiro, "I really really apologize on behalf of him... It seems he still hasn't learnt anything..."

Ginjiro smiled and said, "No. A child shouldn't be abide by too much rules or etiquettes. I believe they need their fill in their curiosity."

Rei smiled and took him from Ginjiro's arms and said, "Please, excuse us. I need to feed him."

Ginjiro nodded and said, "Of course..."

But Noya wasn't going to let go of his hair as he kept a strong hold on his golden strands.

Rei scolded, "Noya! Leave him!"

And Noya started to cry as his grip was forcefully loosened. Then he caught Rei's hair and pulled it harshly.

Rei moaned in pain as Ginjiro came closer and patted on Noya's head. He immediately stopped crying and the Duke said, "Noya. Never hurt your mother and never let anyone hurt you mother. Okay?"

Noya didn't understood but he understood the Duke was telling him not to pull his mother's hair as he let it go.

Ginjiro looked at Rei and with a smile he said, "Then princess Rei, I must excuse myself now."

And he left.

Rei was surprised at the man. She didn't think Noya would listen to anyone. He only listened to Bianka and sometimes Rei but he was a very stubborn child.

Come to think of it, who was he? Rei thought as she looked at the way where the man vanished. He seemed familiar and he knew her. Was he someone she knew?

She didn't give it much thought as she looked at Noya who seemed to be playing with something. It was a shiny object.

She asked, "Where did you get it?"

And then she saw the carving on the broach. She gasped. "Noya! Did you just take that from Duke Ginjiro Shimadzu?!"

***
"Who was that?" Hibiki asked as he caught a glimpse of his master talking to a lady. And he never let a chance slip to tease the Duke. "Someone who can make our Duke's stone heart melt?" He joked.

Lorenzo growled, "Stop it, Hibiki! You are disrespecting our Duke!"

"Eh? But he has been to manifested in his work. Shouldn't this time he give us an heir?" Hibiki said.

"We have many marriage proposal from all over Wansai for Duke. He can choose from those..." Kotatsu said, "And I think, most of the families came to join Prince Rian's marriage to pursue our Duke."

He pointed at the ladies who had been eyeing him and Hibiki joked, "Then this year, we can finally get a wife for him."

A light chuckle left from Ginjiro's mouth as he said, "Maybe..."

And all three of them froze as they saw their Duke leaving them with a smirk on his face. It was odd that he was joking on his marriage because he had no plans to get married. He rejected all the proposal even when it might benefit him.

Had he changed his mind? Not that they heard of...

----
13th February, 23
1276

----
A/n: Well, I decided to update the first chapter of the vol 7 anyway whehuehue...