[Vol. 2] Chapter 33

I had worn the new Yukata Arashi had bought for me from the market when I was sick. It was light purple with various flowers adorned it. The fine cloth was soothing against my skin as I put the hair ornament he had given me the first day.

It was dawn when we left for Kosaki. The Hiro family came to our house to pay a visit as Arashi gave them the keys to look after the house and the crops.

Mrs Hiro dragged me to a corner excusing the men and asked, "Have you done it?" Her voice sounded excited and her eyes glinted devilishly as my cheeks shifted in color.

"No." I shook my head and looked away as I felt her sharp glares on me. I gulped.

"What!" She shouted as it caught the men's attention. Feeling she had raised her voice a bit louder she looked at them and smiled nervously saying, "I apologize." 

Then she looked at me with a pair of angry gazes. "And today, you are going to your father's house! What if he leaves you there?!" She asked almost panicking as if she was my mother panicking over her daughter's future. Although I knew Arashi wouldn't do that, I felt happy as she was the only woman who showed concern for me. 

"Arashi wouldn't do that." I said smiling.

Mrs Hiro tried to read my face and said, "He better not or I'd make sure he regrets coming back." She cracked her knuckles as I chuckled nervously. She was really scary sometimes but a good person from heart and I couldn't help myself as I embraced her. I had never done this kind of intimacy with anyone but somehow I wanted to do that with Mrs Hiro. She felt more like my elder sister and sometimes, my mother. 

She was startled at first but then she embraced me in her arms and patted my head. "Be safe and return as soon as possible, yes?"

I nodded as sadness etched in my heart. "I will."

"And never let anyone get your man and even if someone tries to, make them taste the dirt, yes?" She asked and I blinked against her. 

"Err... Yes?"

My voice had no confidence as she pulled away and placed her hands on my shoulders. With an evil grin she said or more like gave a threat. "You will fight for your man if anyone tries to snatch him away or I will throw you from the mountain."

I nodded frantically. "Yes!"

"And if Mr Yuan tried to leave you or hurt you, make sure to let him know how wrong he is, yes?" She put pressure on 'yes' as I smiled stiffly. 

I mumbled weakly, "Yes."

"I heard my name." Arashi said, startling us both. "Were you talking behind my back?"

"Ahaha. Of course, we were discussing how many babies you both will be having in the future." She said making me still as a statue as Arashi's shocked eyes drifted between both of us. 

"Err... I see..." Arashi nodded, feeling the awkwardness shifting in the air. "Then I will leave you two alone since there is an intense topic going on." 

And he left immediately.

I looked at Mrs Hiro who bore a smug look on her face because that was certainly praiseworthy how she managed to make people so awkward that they would leave you. 

"That was amazing." I said and as if her nose increased in size she nodded in appreciation.

"That's how you talk behind someone's back in front of them without them knowing." She said as she bit her tongue and both of us giggled.

We joined the men not long after as it was time we walked toward the village then climbed down the mountain.

"You can use the ointments and the medicines I have left in my chamber and be sure to give whoever needs it." Arashi said to Mr Hiro's older son, Ichigo. 

He nodded and gave Arashi an assuring nod. The boy wasn't older yet he was sharp. Arashi told me that he had memorized all the basic medicines and herbs that would come handy in his later years. 

"When will you be coming, Mr and Mrs Yuan?" Mrs Hiro asked, she had a sad face.

"It might take us one or two weeks depending on the situation," Arashi said as we had estimated the time his letter would reach the Emperor of Kosaki.

"Alright. Have a safe trip. We will take care of your house and all the crops." Arashi nodded as he brought out a small bag of coins and gave them.

"Oh! No! No, Mr Yuan, you have helped us all these years, it is our time to help you." Mr Hiro said and his wife agreed but Arashi shook his head.

"Please take it. You might need it for taking care of the crops." He said and shoved the bag in his hands, "I would be glad if you took it."

It was the first time Mr and Mrs Hiro couldn't win against Arashi's stubbornness and we left.

I was feeling sad as I kept walking beside Arashi with a sad face. I wasn't this sad when I left my father's abode but somehow I felt the villagers were more than my family. I wasn't even excited to go see any of my family but for the sake of the task, we'd have to.

Arashi must've sensed the tension in me as he asked, "What happened?" 

"Nothing. I think I have already started to miss home." I said.

"Don't worry, we will reach your home in a day." He said.

I mumbled. "I meant, our home."

Arashi tilted down his head at me and gave me a gentle squish on my hand as he held my hand. "We will be returning shortly."

I nodded.

"By the way," Arashi said as my eyes moved at him.

"How many children have you decided to take?" He asked as my eyes bulged out of my sockets. 

"Wha— What do you mean?" I stammered, a bit flustered at his sudden change in the topic.

"Weren't you talking about that?" He asked as he raised a brow.

"Err..." Well, we weren't. But I dared to tell him about what we were talking about. 

"So, how many children?" He asked again as I turned my head away in shyness. 

"I— em... We will decide it later." I managed to say it somehow but my heart leapt round and round in my chest.

"Ho~ And here I was thinking of a dozen." He mumbled and I snapped my head at him with a horrified look on my face. 

"A—a dozen!" I said. My cheeks turned red as he looked at my face and the corners of his lips twitched. 

He burst into laughter as I gave him a blank look. He was teasing me again!

-----
25th May, 22
1154