The government is kind of an ass

"The government" are the people in charge, such as the president. 

States trying to leave the Confederacy would have to take it up with the government, both their state's and the Confederacy's. The only states that really had any say where South Carolina, and Virginia. Geo had no power and could do nothing. Border states had no say in the Union, as their states 1: Still supported slavery, and 2: Weren't very powerful. In the Union, the national government had the most say. If a state was powerful enough they would have some say, but ultimately came to the government.

Each time Ohio would try to talk to the government about letting Geo join the Union, he would be met with either "no" or "we can talk later." Eventually he had to focus more on the war, and couldn't try to fight it with the government anymore.

Georgia was forced to stay in the Confederacy because he had little to no say in things. The Confederate states and soldiers would also threaten Geo by threatening to hurt the twins. Which caused Georgia to stay cause he didn't want his kids being hurt.

Kentucky had no say in the Union, being both a border state and living in the Confederacy. He also had no say in the Confederacy because his state was on the Union side. He tried numerous times to talk to both governments but was never allowed.