Chapter 8

My mom, Richard, and Till were all yelling at each other on the couch. It was so intense that they didn't even notice me. I cleared my throat, but they clearly didn't hear. I walked upstairs and saw that my bedroom light was on. 

"Peekaboo!" I could hear from the outside of the door. I opened it up and saw Neil playing peekaboo with Ashton. 

"Wommy!" He yelled and hugged me. 

I smiled and hugged him back. "Hello."

"We were all worried sick, Adette!" Neil stood up. 

"I know you were," I picked up Ashton. 

"Why didn't you answer?"

"I was sleeping."

"Ah, I see. Did you two-"

"No, we didn't fuck, Neil. The worst thing that happened was me falling asleep on his shoulder. It was so embarrassing, though."

"How so?"

I sat down and put Ashton in my lap as I played around with his hands. "I had another nightmare and I woke up screaming and crying. He hugged me for a little while and then-"

"Wait, he hugged you?!"

"Yeah, but just to calm me down."

"Hm...interesting. So I guess that was the worst thing."

"I guess so. What did you guys do?"

"Your parents have been arguing for the longest time now, so we've been up here. I spent the night in your bed, sorry."

"That's fine. As long as you didn't jack off or anything, we're good."

"I would never! How did it go?"

"It was really nice. I gave him my number."

"That's good."

"How did you know that I had a celebrity crush on him?"

"Ville? I didn't. You do?"

"Yeah."

"That's just a coincidence. I think he had a celebrity crush on you, too."

"Had?"

"Well, I don't if it would still be a celebrity crush or not, but you know what I mean."

"ADETTE!" My mom shouted. 

I handed Ashton back to Neil and walked downstairs. "Yeah, Mom?"

"Sit down."

I sat down next to Richard and crossed my legs. "Yeah?"

"I understand that there's been some tension, but we also need to discuss some things with you."

"Okay."

"You're 20 years old and you're still living with me and you don't have a job. If you don't find a job soon, then-"

"I'll move out."

"What?"

"No, that's not what we were saying," Till explained. 

"You weren't saying anything. You're right. I'm 20 and I need to get out of here anyways."

"It's good for people to be independent," Richard commented. 

"I don't want you to leave, Adette," My mom said. 

"I know you don't, but I need to get a job and I'm not going to get motivated to do it if I don't need to. If I move out, then I'll need to."

"We'll financially help you though," Richard told me. "Or at least I will."

"We will help you if you need help," Till smiled. 

I nodded my head. "I'll start looking for an apartment or something." 

As I walked upstairs, I could hear my mom say, "Great going guys! Now she's going to be gone!"

I plugged my ears and walked back into my room to find Neil on my phone. 

"Oh, here she is," Neil handed me my phone. 

"Hello?" I asked. 

"Adette?"

I could recognize that accent anywhere. "Hey, Ville."

"Just wanted to make sure that you didn't give me a fake number."

"I would never do that."

"Do you have any plans tomorrow or any time this week?"

"No, but would you like to come with me to look at apartments?"

Neil looked up at me with a confused expression on his face, but then quickly looked back down and played with Ashton. 

"Of course," He said. "What time?"

"Whatever works for you."

"I'll be there at around two."

I gave him my address, then hung up and sat back down. "You alright, Neil?"

"I have to go," He stood up, then walked downstairs. 

I picked up Ashton and chased after him. "Neil, where are you going?"

"I'm going to my house."

"Why are you leaving?"

"Because I can't be near you if-nevermind."

"If what?"

"You really want to know?"

"Yes."

"Fine. Here goes."