Chapter 35

December 21, 1999

"Ow, Mom!" I yelped. 

"Stop moving!" She yanked my hair back and curled it. 

"Mom?"

"Hm?"

"Do you still love Richard?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You cheated on Richard, yes, but you still stayed with him. You wanted to be with my d-Till, right?"

"Well, yeah-"

"But you weren't ready to leave Rich-my dad. You weren't ready to leave my dad."

"I wasn't," She put hairspray in my hair and started to softly cry. 

I felt guilty for bringing up the topic, but I needed to know the answers at some point. 

"I just don't know why you did it," I told her. 

"Adette, I don't like talking about this."

"I know you don't! But I'm your fucking daughter and I deserve some fucking answers."

"I cared about both your dad and Till, okay? I loved them both. Now I just love Till. Your dad is married to-"

"Fucking Caron."

"Yes," She chuckled. "'Fucking Caron'."

"No, that's probably what he's doing."

"You're such a child."

She pulled two pieces of my hair from the front of my hair and pulled them to the back of my head and tied them. I looked into the mirror and saw that my hair was really poofy. 

I smiled as I saw my mom was doing my hair. She was all dressed up and ready to go and she was helping me get into my dress. I was wearing a see through white dress that looked very nice on me. I wanted to wear it because people always constantly got mad at women for showing their breasts, so I decided to show mine off. I wanted to wear the dress that Rose McGowan wore at the MTV Awards last year, but I knew that I wouldn't get away with that, and I was a mother; I had to have some boundaries. I grabbed my black sweater and buttoned it over me so that Till wouldn't see them-that would be awkward. 

I loved how my mom was doing my hair and helping me get ready. She was always there for me and loved helping me. 

"Are you sure you don't want any makeup?" She asked me. 

"I'm sure, Mom."

"You look so beautiful," She kissed me cheek and hugged me. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Okay, let's go! Let's go!"

We walked out of the room and I tried pulling my dress down, but my mom slapped my hands. 

"Mom!" I snapped. 

"You wanted to wear that, you can show a little bit of your ass."

I rolled my eyes as we walked into the kitchen. Ashton was sitting down in his highchair eating pieces of an apple. I kissed the top of his head and rubbed it. 

"Apple!" He shrieked. 

"Apple," I repeated. 

He shoved a piece of it into my mouth and I groaned. 

"Yum," He giggled and continued to eat. 

"Whoa, all dressed up, are we?!" Ville said, trying to impersonate a British accent.