Chapter 88

December 24, 2004

"Bye, Ashton!" I kissed the top of his head and hugged him. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mommy!" He blew me a kiss. 

"Bye, Neil."

"Bye, Adette."

I walked into my car and drove to the store and bought a pack of beers. 

"Do you want two?" The cashier asked me. 

"Hm?" I asked. 

"Two packs. Buy one, get one free."

"Sure."

He grabbed another one and I paid for both. I grabbed them, then set them down on the ground and searched for the keys in my purse. 

"Do you need help?" Someone asked me. 

I unlocked my car. "I'm fine."

As I looked up, I let out a little yelp-Corey was standing right in front of me. 

"Jesus," He chuckled and put the two packs of beer in my back seat. 

"What are you doing here, Corey?" I started my car and threw my keys in the passenger seat. 

"It's just a coincidence I'm here."

"Alright, well I have to get going-"

"Why so sour?"

"What?"

"Why are you so fucking mad at me? I didn't do anything to you."

"I'm not-Why do you think I'm mad at you?"

"Because you haven't been returning my calls or texts. You've been ignoring me!"

"You have a wife and kids-you have a family. That's something I envy, Corey. You're happy and I'm not going to mess that up for you."

He scoffed. "I'm happy?! I'm not fucking happy. Scarlett's going over to her family's house with our kids and told me I'm not allowed to go with."

"Why?"

"She thinks I cheated on her."

"How so?"

"She thinks any woman I see that's more beautiful than her, I cheat on."

"Corey that's because we-Wait what?!"

"Ha! You caught on to what I said?"

He called me beautiful, but I couldn't fall for it. "I have to go."

"Stop," He grabbed my arm softly and looked into my eyes. "I don't want to be by myself this Christmas."

"Don't you have family?"

"Oh my God, Adette! I want to be with you!"

"Corey-"

"Please?!"

"Fine! God, you annoy me!"

He smirked and got into the car. I drove to my mom's house, then we went inside, put the beers in the fridge, then walked to my room. 

I took off my clothes and changed into a T-shirt and leggings. 

"Wow!" Corey shouted. 

"It's nothing you haven't seen before."

"You're right. So, how are things with Till and your mom?"

"They're over."

"They are?"