Chapter 28

November 27, 1999

I quietly looked through all of Ville's cabinets to make breakfast, but I soon realized that I didn't really know how to make food really well, and I didn't want to ruin his pots or pans. 

I ended up calling McDonald's and ordering two Egg McMuffin's. 

"What do you think you're doing?!" Ville placed his hands on my waist making me scream loudly. 

"You fucking scared me!" I shoved him lightly. 

"You making breakfast?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't know how to make anything."

"I could teach you."

I glared at him. "I just ordered food."

He chuckled. "There's always tomorrow."

"I had the weirdest dream last night."

"What was it?"

"I was, like, thirteen or something and it was my birthday. My parents-not in real life, but these random ones-were all setting up the house to celebrate. I decided to take a walk and then I saw a baby crying on the side of the road."

"Wait, on your walk, you saw a baby crying on the side of the road?"

"Yes. So, I picked her up and oh my God, it was so amazing! She was so soft and cute and chubby! But, she stopped crying as soon as I picked her up. It was so fucking weird. Anyways, on my way back, I was planning on telling my parents that I was pregnant and I was delighted that I was able to choose who the dad was and-"

"Wait, wait. You can't choose who the dad is."

"In the dream I could. I technically didn't have sex with anyone, so I could mess with them and tell them that the dad was anyone I knew. But, I didn't have any guy friends."

"Awww, what a shame."

"So, I just walked in there and no one cared. They didn't fucking care. They just sung me happy birthday and kept on going. They turned on the T.V. because there were other little kids there, and then all of a sudden, she jumped from my hands and watched the T.V. She wasn't little anymore! She could walk! She sat down and watched the fucking T.V. I got so upset, because one second I was holding her and the next she was walking. But, what if it's a sign?"

"How would that be a sign?"

"That Ashton's growing up really fast and he's going to be all grown up."

"It could be a sign."

"I don't want him to grow up, Ville. I want him to be my baby boy forever," I started crying. 

I didn't want to ever loose Ashton. If I lost him, that would be the end of me and everything I knew.

Ville walked towards me and hugged me. 

Ashton was my life and I loved him more than anything in the world. I wouldn't ever let anything happen to him. 

"I need to see him," I told Ville. 

"Is he with Neil?"

"Yes, but I don't fucking care."

But then, the doorbell rang. 

"Food first," He winked at me and opened up the door, then walked back and handed me a McMuffin. 

I quickly devoured it and ran to the car, but Ville grabbed my arm before I could. 

"What?" I groaned. 

"You just ate your fucking breakfast-wait, you didn't even eat it. You inhaled your fucking breakfast in less than two minutes!"

I laughed hysterically. "I was hungry."

"Listen, Ashton is not disappearing anytime soon and-"

"Oh my God!" I gasped. 

"What?"

"Neil is kind of an irresponsible adult. Ashton could easily get kidnapped! VILLE!"

"You're so paranoid right now. RELAX!" He shook me. 

"Okay, okay, I'm relaxed," I giggled. "Can we go now?"

"I guess I can eat my breakfast in the car."

"You're the best!"

We drove to Neil's house and I rapidly knocked on the door. 

"Yes?" His dad answered. "Oh, you again."

"Jesus!" I scrunched my face. 

"I'm just kidding. You here for Ashton?"

"Yep. Actually, can I talk to Neil really quick?"

"NEIL!" 

Neil walked over to us and he scoffed as soon as he saw me. 

"I need to talk to you," I told him. 

"What?" He folded his arms across his chest as soon as his dad left. 

"Yesterday you told me that you were going to keep him until the first week of December. But, my mom told me that you thought I was coming on Friday! Friday! You knew I was coming back early, you filthy fucking liar!"

"Oh, yeah. I'm such a bad person because I want to see my son."

"You weren't even watching him yesterday! You were in the opposite room of him with your girlfriend or whatever."

"So what?! You're probably with Ville!"

"Who hangs out with Ashton!"

"Fine! Fine! You can take Ashton!"

He grabbed Ashton and I held him. 

"Don't be aggressive," I told him. "He's just a baby."

He kissed Ashton's head and hugged him. "I love you, buddy."

As soon as he shut the door, I felt guilty. He really did love his son and he wanted to see him. I knocked on the door and he opened it back up forcefully. I handed Ashton to him. 

"I'll pick him up tomorrow," I smiled. 

"Why?"

"Because you want to see him."

"Thanks, Adette," He hugged me. 

"Bye."

I walked back into the car and we drove back to Ville's house.