Chapter 33

December 19, 1999

"I'm sorry," My mom repeated. "I was acting very inappropriate last night and I'm just so sorry."

"We both are," Till said. 

"It's fine," I smiled. "I'm going to go pick up Ashton really fast."

As I walked out, I called Ville. 

"Hello?" He groaned. 

"Hi!"

"Ah, loud fucking noises!"

"How are you not awake? It's ten where you guys are at."

"Hey, I like to sleep in. How have you been?"

"Good. I've been good. Just missing you, though."

"I miss you, too. What are you doing?"

"Well, I'm about to go pick up Ashton."

"That's fun."

"Yeah."

"I'll let you get to it then. I have to go."

"Oh, okay."

"Bye. I love you."

"I love you, too."

When he hung up, I was surprised. I was already driving so that kept me occupied, but why would he just hang up suddenly? Did he not want to talk to me? Was he mad at me? I didn't want to make any assumptions and cause conflict, so I left it at that. 

I was meeting with Neil in a place that I had never been to, so I was confused as to where I had to go. I saw arrows pointing, so I I followed them and saw Neil standing outside of his car. I rushed over to him and quickly got out of the car and that was when I felt it: guilt. 

His eyes were all red and puffy, and his face was beet red. 

"Neil?" I asked.

"What?" He slammed his door shut, making me jump. 

I could hear Ashton squealing from inside of the car, but I ignored it. 

"What's wrong?" I stepped close to him, but he flinched backwards. 

"Don't."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm upset, okay?!"

"What happened?"

"Nothing," He muttered. 

"Is it because you broke up with your girlfriend?"

"No! It's because she already went off and dated someone else!"

I walked forward to hug him, but he gently pushed me away. 

"I'm trying to help you," I said nicely. 

"I understand. But I don't need help right now. I need-I need-"

"NEIL!" A high-pitched voice yelled. 

He turned around and I saw that it was the girl from the zoo. She had the short brown hair and the same outfit I saw her in at the zoo. 

"Hey, we have to get going soon!" She smiled as soon as she made eye contact with me. "Oh my God! Hi!"

"Hi," I shyly waved. 

She looked back up at him and just hugged him and he hugged her back. I felt sad and jealous because I was trying to help him, but it wasn't alright because he didn't need help. But, then that girl comes along and then he needs help.