Chapter 128

November 21, 2010

Corey and I had not talked in three days. It hurt me to think that he was upset with me. He was the man I loved and he was upset with me. I would hate me if I was him. 

"Everleigh," I said. "Come on."

We walked out of my mom's house, went into my car, and drove to our house. 

"Where's Daddy?" She asked. 

"You're about to see him."

When we pulled up to the house, I unlocked the gate and rang the doorbell. Griffin answered the door and smiled as he saw me. He hugged me and then hugged Everleigh. 

I walked back to my car, but Griffin asked, "Aren't you coming inside?"

"Not right now," I replied. 

"But I insist."

It wasn't Griffin's voice that said that-it was Corey's. I looked behind me and saw Corey in the doorway. 

My heart stopped as we just stared at each other. 

"Mommy, come inside," Everleigh giggled.

Corey nodded his head in approval, so I walked inside and stood off to the side. It felt like I didn't belong there, though. 

"Um, I need to talk to you about something," Corey said. 

I nodded my head as we walked into the office. He shut the door behind us and locked it. 

"I didn't mean what I said," He told me. "I thought about it and I don't want a divorce."

"You don't?"

"Why would I get a fucking divorce because you kissed another man?"

"Well, would you break up with me if we were boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Probably. But, this is marriage."

"Can I at least tell you what happened?"

"Sure."

I told him what happened, but that just made him more upset. I didn't tell him that I thought the guy was attractive-hell no-but I told him all the events that occurred. 

"Corey, I'm sorry," I told him. 

"Adette, can I be honest with you?"

"Yes."

"I do want a divorce, but I'm not going to go through with it. I'm not going to ruin our family like that-I don't want to ruin Everleigh's life."

I started crying. He didn't want to be with me anymore. The only reason why he was trying was for Everleigh. That's a true dad. 

"I'm sorry, Corey," I sobbed. "I fucked up-I know I did!"

"I don't want a divorce because you kissed that man, though."

I was so confused. "Then why would-"

"Do you know what kissing leads to? Touching. Touching leads to undressing. Undressing leads to sex. How can I trust that you aren't going to go do that?"

"Corey, I would never have sex with anyone else! Why the fuck would you think that?! You don't trust me!"

"After what you pulled, fuck no! I don't fucking trust you!"

I sobbed harder. I didn't know what to do. I was left there staring at Corey who was starting to cry, too. I wished that I could go back in time and re-do that moment. It was a selfish act to do and Corey had every right to be mad. I just didn't want to lose him. I deserved it, but he didn't.