Chapter 83

August 26, 2004

"I can't believe it!" Melissa chuckled. "I can't believe that we actually got nominated!"

"I can," I squeezed her. 

We were nominated for "Best Collaboration" at the Kerrang Awards. We did a cover of Boys on the Radio and got to release it on a single she did. 

When we arrived, I was shaking badly. 

"This is nothing like the MTV Awards," She told me as we walked inside. 

It was filled with tables and chairs and it looked very fancy-nothing like the MTV Awards. 

She took my hand and guided me to our table and we sat down. I noticed a group of three guys across from us and I gasped. 

"Are you guys 'Muse'?" I asked. 

"Yeah," A guy with spiky brown hair said. "I'm Matt-the lead singer."

"I'm a fan of you guys."

"It's always nice to meet a fan."

Melissa smiled and squeezed me tight. "I'm so nervous!"

"Me too!" I chuckled. 

The room got dark and an announcer started talking. 

"Best Collaboration" was the first award going first, so Melissa and I were freaking out the entire time. 

"And the winner for 'Best Collaboration' is..." The announcer said. "Adette Morgenson and Melissa Auf Der Maur!"

"No way!" I stood up, squealed, and hugged Melissa. 

We ran to the stage, and I hugged the guy as Melissa grabbed the award. 

"Wow," She chuckled. "This is such an honor and I'm so happy that I won an award with my close friend Adette Morgenson."

"I wish I could say the same," I joked. "God, I'm so nervous. We had such a blast making this track."

"Thank you!" We exclaimed into the microphones, then blew a kiss. 

We walked back to our table and I sat down, shaking violently. 

"Good job," Matt whispered to us. 

"Thanks," I smiled. 

----------------------------------------------------------

The last award was "Best Music Video". I was finally relieved that it was over, but then I heard a familiar voice singing. I looked up and the video playing was "The Funeral of Hearts" by "HIM". I felt like I was going to throw up, but instead, I just tensed up. 

Melissa put a hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, "You alright?"

I gave her a thumbs-up, but I couldn't stop staring at the screen. Thankfully it ended, but then it was announced that "HIM" won. I obviously clapped for them-they deserved it-but then I said that Ville was the only one on the stage. 

Seeing him on the stage broke me. He looked happy and so beautiful. He was smiling and very proud himself. 

At the end of his speech, we made eye contact and I started to silently cry. Melissa could tell, so she got out of her seat and hugged me. I cried into her neck and watched him sit back down. 

"It's over now," She told me. 

I nodded my head and then the lights shot back up. 

"Hey, you alright?" Matt walked over to me. 

"I'm fine," I replied. 

"You're crying."

"Yeah, I am."

"Oh, it's because-I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

"She's just still upset," Melissa hugged me. "We can go now, alright? It's over."

"Congratulations on winning the award," I told Matt. 

"Thanks, you too," He replied. 

I walked out into the light sobbing, but it wasn't over yet-we had to take pictures. 

I tried wiping my tears, but I couldn't stop crying. 

"Hey," Someone shoved a microphone in my face as soon as Melissa and I walked out. 

We continued to walk to the right and we stood there as people took pictures of us. Melissa held up our award high in the air and smiled. I smiled as I looked up at it, then made the rock symbol with my fingers and stuck out my tongue. 

My tears finally faded, but then I heard the laugh-his laugh. Ville's obnoxious, yet silly laugh. 

"Just ignore him," Melissa told me. "It'll be alright."

I shook my head. I was being immature. I walked up to Ville and he looked very surprised. 

"Congratulations on the award," I told him. "You deserved it."

"Oh, uh, thanks," He chuckled. "You too. I didn't know you were friends with Melissa."

I looked at her making silly faces. "Yeah, we're really close. I heard you two are doing a tour later this year."

"Yeah, we are."

"Well, I've got to go. Congratulations."

"You too."

I walked up to Melissa and she hugged me. 

"You did it!" She squealed. 

"I did what?"

"You talked to him!"

We walked away, but then we were stopped for an interview. 

"Hello," Someone put a microphone in our faces. 

"Hi," Melissa and I said in unison. 

"Congratulations," He said. "I heard your song and it is so beautiful."

"Thanks," Melissa said. 

"I couldn't help but notice you-Adette-crying. Why?"

"Feelings," I nodded my head. "Horrible, horrible feelings that shouldn't be discussed."

"But you should discuss them for us."

A hand was put on my shoulder, then a voice said, "Fucking", laughed, then walked away. I watched them walk away and noticed that it was Ville. 

"Him," Was all I said, then walked away with Melissa. 

Him.