Chapter 121

May 24, 2010

"DON'T EAT THE TOOTHPATE, EVERLEIGH!" I shouted. "EWW!"

I snatched the toothpaste from her grasp and put it back on the counter. 

"You only use that when you brush your teeth," I told her. "No, no."

She huffed and walked away. I walked downstairs and turned on the T.V. 

I felt a pair of arms hug me from behind. 

"Hey, Corey," I lowered the volume on the T.V.

"H-" But before he could even get a word out, his phone started ringing. "Wait a second...Hello?"

He walked into the kitchen, so I turned up the volume. 

I stared at the T.V. and then heard Everleigh start to shriek. I ran upstairs and saw that she was pointing to the wall. 

I looked at the wall and saw a spider on it. 

"Go downstairs," I told her, grabbed a paper towel, then squished it. "It's just a baby spider, Everleigh!"

"Where?" Ashton ran out of his room. 

"On this paper towel," I handed it to him. "Go throw it away."

"Okay."

As I walked downstairs, I felt a rush of air blow in front of me-Corey. He ran out the door and slammed the front door so hard that the walls shook. 

"Wow," I muttered. 

"Daddy's mad," Everleigh skipped off into the living room. 

I walked out the front and saw Corey on the ground with his knees tucked into his chest. He was breathing heavily. 

"Corey?" I whispered.

He looked up at me and I saw that he was crying. 

"Hey," I said kindly and sat down next to him. 

I rubbed his back and kissed his cheek. I didn't want to say anything because I knew he wasn't ready to talk about it. I just hugged him. 

"I'll be right back," I walked inside and went into Ash's bedroom. "Ashton, I need you to come downstairs and watch Everleigh, okay? Corey and I are going out."

"To where?"

"I don't know. Just watch Everleigh."

"Okay."

"Keep your phone near you!" I yelled as I shut the front door. 

I locked it, then looked down and heard Corey crying, but I couldn't find him. 

"Corey?" I looked around and saw him leaning against the car. "Hey, Corey, let's go, okay?"

"I don't want to go anywhere."

"We're not going to go do something-"

"I don't want to fucking go anywhere."

"Corey, you need to get out of the house. Please?"

He groaned and got into the passenger seat, slamming it shut. I got in the driver seat and just started driving. I didn't know where, but I started driving. 

"Where are we going?" He asked. 

"I don't know."

I just let myself drive around and we ended up at a hiking spot. 

"I don't want to go hiking," He said. 

"Okay, we won't go," I told him. "But we're getting out."