Chapter 99

January 4, 2006

"Get dressed in something fancy," Corey told me. 

The whole day, we had been lying down in bed watching the T.V. and talking. 

"I don't have anything fancy," I told him. "I don't like fancy things."

"Put on clothes, then."

"I have clothes on!"

"You're in your pajamas."

"No one will know that," I smirked. 

He gasped. "We should do that!"

"What?"

"Go out in public in our fucking pajamas."

"Let's fucking do it!"

I put my hair up in a ponytail, then we walked out. Walking out of the hotel, I noticed that there was hardly anyone there. 

"Where are we going?" I asked him. 

"It's a surprise."

Turns out, we were just getting McDonald's. As we were walking back to the hotel, Corey asked, "Have you talked to Ashton at all?"

"No," I replied. "I should go do that."

"Can you go across the street and go get me a bottle of water?"

"Seriously, Corey?"

"Please?"

I rolled my eyes and walked to the store while calling Neil. 

"Hello?" He answered. 

"Hey, Neil. Is there any chance I can talk to Ashton?"

"Of course. What time is it there?"

"Nine."

"Oh, it's six here."

"Sorry for waking you."

"No, no, it's fine. Ashton, Mommy wants to say 'hi'."

"Mom?" Ashton asked. 

"Hi, Ash."

"I miss you."

"I miss you, too. I'll be back in a couple of days, though."

"Where are you?"

"I'm in Germany."

"Where Grandpa lives?"

"Exactly. So, what have you been up to?" 

I paid for the water bottle, but stayed in the little gas station's store since it was quieter in there than outside. 

"I've been coloring."

"How's school?"

"Good. I-I-I-I got a green card yesterday."

"A green card?!"

"Yeah."

"Did you do something good or-"

"I picked up trash on the floor. All the other kids were stepping on it, but I picked it up."

"Good job, Ashton," I chuckled. "I have to get going. I love you."

"I love you too, Mommy."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I put my phone in my pocket and walked out to the hotel. When I walked inside, the lobby was empty and it was dark. 

"What the-"

Before I could get my sentence out, a bunch of candles lit up and rose petals were on the floor. I got butterflies in my stomach knowing that this was Corey's doing. I looked around once again, but there was no one there. 

I followed the rose petals and they led me to the elevator. I walked inside and saw that there was an arrow pointing to my floor. I pressed the button, then went to where the petals led me-my hotel room. 

I opened up the door, which was cracked, and walked inside to find that the whole room was lit with candles. The curtains were open which clearly showed the darkness and stars in the sky, but the bright city lights. 

Corey emerged from the darkness-still wearing his pajamas-and walked up to me. 

"Corey, what the fuck is going on?" I asked him. "No one is here!"

"No one is here except for us."

"What?"

"Adette, I love you."

"You're scaring me."

"Let me talk! I love you and I don't ever want to lose you. With Scarlett, I felt like if I were to die, I would die happy, but with you, I don't want to die. I want to be with you forever. I want to grow old and die with you," He got down on one knee and I gasped. "Adette, will you make me the happiest man ever and just fucking marry me?"

I couldn't control my shit. I started laughing-due to my nervousness-and I nodded my head vigorously. After he slipped the ring onto my finger, I giggled and hugged him, then kissed him. 

We were getting married. We were going to grow old. I went back to what Corey said and I was just captivated by him. He made me happy and I loved him. 

I was going to spend the rest of my life with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hold on," I said. "Let me get this straight. You paid money to get everyone out of the hotel at once-or at least away from the lobby and the halls-just to propose to me?"

"Love makes people do crazy things."

I smiled at him and got out of bed, then put some clothes on. 

"Hey!" Corey shouted. "What are you putting clothes on for?"

"I'm cold."

I slipped on one of Corey's shirts, some underwear, then crawled back into bed. He put his underwear on, then got back into bed. 

"You can't do what you did with Ville to me," Corey said. "Listen, you said 'yes'. I'm going to be gone, too."

"I know. I can always go with you and maybe I could take Ashton with. I don't know, but we'll figure it out. I'll figure it out, Corey. We'll make it work."

"I can't get hurt anymore, Adette. I've been hurt so much in my life, but now, I feel stable. I feel like my life is right on track."

"I know what you mean. I won't hurt you. But, you can't hurt me either, okay?"

"Why would I ever hurt you?"

"I don't know. Why would I hurt you?"

"Because it's so easy to."

I hugged him. "I'll never hurt you. I'll always love you, okay?"

"I'll love you too. Forever and always."

I smiled and kissed him. "Corey, we're going to get married."